AMD Preps New CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin Man

muffin enthusiast
AMD releasing 555 Black Edition dual-core to counter Intel's latest - Neoseeker News Article
Fudzilla - AMD readies four new CPUs

AMD has a couple of new CPUs ready to hit the hardware shops, in response to Intel's latest dual-core zippers, the Clarkdale family of CPUs (you can read our review of the Core i5-661 here).

The four new chips are the Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition, the Athlon II X4 635, the Athlon II X3 440, and the Athlon II X2 255.

It'll be tough to top the new inexpensive dual-core Intel 32nm CPUs with integrated on-chip IGPs (graphics), but AMD claims the X2 555 Black Edition will be one of the fastest dual-cores around, and will give Intel chips in the same price bracket, a run for the money. Also, being a Black Edition part, you can expect an unlocked multiplier, and a lot of overclocking headroom. Will the X2 555 be able to top the Pentium G6950 in an overclocking challenge? We'll have to wait until one falls into our hardware labs for testing in order to find out.

As for the Athlon II X4 635, X3 440, and X2 255, expect these chips to make up for lower clock speeds (relative to Intel's parts) with very attractive price points. Talking to AMD's Damon Muzny today, he repeated to us that the plan is for more "not only dual-cores, but triple and quads at sub $100 prices."

No firm dates have been stated, but these new CPUs are expected to arrive within a month. - neoseeker.com

hmm... idk how well the x2 555 will compete against similarly priced i3s, considering that (like the i5 clarkdales), they can reach a stable 4ghz on its stock cooler.

edit: thx :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom