Airport Extreme / Vista Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

socav

Baseband Member
My roommate just bought an Apple Airport Extreme. All of our computers and devices seem to work with it except for a Vista computer. Here is a quick summary of what we have connected:

Windows 7 laptop - wireless N - works fine
Windows XP laptop - wireless G - works fine
Xbox 360 - wired - works fine
Motorola Droid - wireless G - works fine
Apple iPhone - wireless G - works fine
Windows Vista laptop - wireless G - connects to router, but cannot access the internet

I have tried restarting the computer, and disabling/enabling the wireless card, but I'm not sure what else I can try.

This computer is also set up to use a Verizon 3G USB adapter. I'm not sure if that might be causing interference. However, the laptop worked fine with our old router, a Linksys WRT54GS.

I know there are a lot of variables here...any ideas on what I can try?

Thanks for any help/suggestions. Let me know if any other info would be useful.

It had McAfee Security Center, and I thought that might be interfering, so I removed it. I tried disabling the Windows firewall as well - didn't help.

I can't see or connect to any other computer.

I looked at the network connection status, and it actually is not receiving any bytes from the router. It is sending, but not receiving.

It has "limited access"

It also had some weird Toshiba network helper bloatware that I thought might be interfering, so I removed it. Doesn't help.

UPDATE: I got it to work!

Apparently there is an issue with the Atheros wireless card and WPA2 security type. I did two things, and I'm not sure which caused it to work:

1) I updated the device driver for the wireless card.

2) I set the Airport Extreme to use WPA/WPA2 instead of just WPA, and then I set the laptop to connect via WPA instead of WPA2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom