Advice on a high-end build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would skip on the Blu-Ray Burner until the price of blank discs come down. And when that happens the burner will be cheaper and faster. Just get a Blu-Ray drive with a DVD burner built-in.
Newegg.com - LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Combo LG Blu-ray Reader & 16X LightScribe DVD±R DVD Burner - Blu-Ray Drives

The Zalman CPU Cooler is a poor choice, especially at $66.99. This is a much better cooler.
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev C. CPU Heatsink - (Socket LGA 1366 / LGA 1156** / 775 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / Xeon**) - FrozenCPU.com
and you'll need a fan
Yate Loon 120mm x 25mm UV Reactive LED Fan - UV Blue (D12SH-124UB) - FrozenCPU.com

Here's a review of the new True120 C revision
Introduction - Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 Revision B & C Review | [H]ard|OCP

Arctic Silver 5 use to be the best thermal paste, but not anymore. They haven't done any research and development while other companies have. Get this instead.
Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

As Hefe said, cable management isn't that hard. You'll save a lot of cash with either the Corsair 750 or 850.

The Dominators are a waste of Hard-Earned money. For less money I've got DDR3 2000 memory but unless I'm doing a massive overclock to show-off it's just not needed. For the money the OCZ Gold's or Platinum's rule the streets.
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

Get a SSD or (2) 7,200rpm drives and run them in Raid0. The Velociraptors are a thing of the past.

If you follow this advise you should of saved enough money to trade that GTX275 into a ATI 5780

And you probably won't use the special features in Windows 7 Ultimate. Home Premium is good for 90% of the Planet.

Newegg.com - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2C1 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

While it isn't cheap the Intel X25-M is just about the best SSD on the market. It's currently out of stock but if you don't mind the price it's worth waiting for.

One thing you have to watch out for with SSD's is the specs they have on sites like newegg give you next to no indication of how the drives really perform. Generally the speeds they list are best case sequential read/write speeds while random read/write speeds and latency have a much bigger impact on your systems responsiveness.

This Anandtech article is a little long but it contains a lot of excellent info about SSD's and is well worth the time it takes to read if you are considering purchasing one.

AnandTech: The SSD Relapse: Understanding and Choosing the Best SSD

Thanks for all the input guys! Since I'm a beginner in this, I'm learning a good bit. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom