Advice needed! Cable modem or combined modem/router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conrad_chaffee

Beta member
Hello all! I'm looking for some networking advice. I'll lay out my situation first, then ask for your expertise.

I just moved from an apartment where I had DSL to one where Cox cable is the only option. Not having done my research, I told the Cox salesperson that I didn't need a modem, as I already had one.

What I have is a Westell 327W router, not a modem. Westell's tech support page seems to indicate that it is possible to use this router with cable internet (probably by buying a cable modem and plugging it into the "Ethernet 1" slot), but the ppt file it links to does not work.

Should I:
1) Buy a cable modem and try plugging it into the Westell?
2) Buy a combo cable modem and router, like the Linksys WCG200 or the Netgear CG300?
3) Buy a cable modem and a better router?

In addition to your opinion on option 1 v.s option 2, I would also love to hear recommendations on the best modem or router for home use with cable-based internet. My setup is 2-3 wireless laptops, and one desktop (that could be plugged directly into the router).

Thank you very much.

I used to have the Westell 327W as well. When I switched to Road Runner Cable, I was provided with a cable modem, and all I had to do was buy a router. You could call Cox back and see if you can get one. As I said, RR provided mine free. I say free, but they charge me for services and that is included.

The Westell was a DSL modem/router. You could go with a combo and between the two I would say the Linksys. Linksys is a very reliable brand. That would probably be the easiest and cheapest way that you know should work just fine.

Thank you for your advice - I'm taking it. I'm going with a refurbished WCG200; I think you're right that it's going to be the cheapest option, I won't have to worry about dealing with two separate devices, and I don't have to deal with trying to get a modem from Cox. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom