Acer H340 OS alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper_13

In Runtime
Ok so i got this crappy little box from acer (H340) they call a server, and it runs Windows Home server.

Basically im sick and tired of this operating system, it is so limited i can't do half the stuff i can on an actual windows server 2003. On top of that it is pre-installed with all this junk software that i dont even need or want, to add even more insult to me as a network administrator student half of the operating systems services start getting a mind of their own and start shutting off.

So i need an alternative, seeing this box doesn't have any vga ports i cannot even see what's going on without remote desktoping. i heard there is cables that convert usb to vga, but i really dont have the money for that, nor would i ever spend money on this piece of %$#& they call a server.

As a student in my faculty i have access to MSDNA which grants me software of my pleasing from MS which includes both Server 2003 and 2008R2, my question is, would something this low end be able to run 2008R2? or even 2003?

And how would i install it?

Another Alternative is Linux, perhaps Ubuntu Server or Desktop Edition, im pretty good with Unix commands so thats not an issue with me. All ill be using the little box for is Streaming movies over the network, using PS3 Media server, setting up FTP server and doing a bit of user management. seing that Linux is very lightweight compared to windows you think this would be the best alternative?

Side note: i did not purchase this thing, it came free with my laptop. One day when i have the money i will build an actual real server.

Thanks in Advance

Why not try FreeNAS? I use Ubuntu Desktop on my little Atom server. I'm not as wise in Unix code. I used to have Windows 7 on it, but hated it on the server after it crashed a few times.

You can install Ubuntu/Windows with a USB Flash, or with an external DVD.

the only problem is that i have do it blindly from a USB keyboard.

Another Question, does the desktop version have LDAP support, to manage user accounts on a domain.

I think this has a PCI port, right? On the back left? You could get a low profile PCI video card for it.

Not sure on LDAP. :(

Well if you want to know about Linux and its server or desktop products, you should really ask there. This is the Windows area. The only option you have aside from Windows Home Server would be Server 2008R2, the full blown Server Edition. That is your only option when it comes to Windows. If you want Linux information, i will move this topic to the Linux area for you. They can better assist you with that aspect there. While a few of us know Linux, this is not the right area to get dedicated answer. The Linux people dont really travel into the Windows area.

Suggest go to distrowatch.com and check out things. From what I gather, Debian minimal install, Fedora core 3 and CentOS maybe ones to start with. Best wishes, and
Happy Holidays!

I was thinking of CentOS, we use it at school and does a great job as a server. i was just looking for a bit more features than the CentOS, thanks for the website looks interesting.

I have decided to go with the Ubuntu Desktop version and see how that works out.

Happy Holidays! and best wishes to you as well. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom