A few odd questions about local networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolalmoth

Beta member
I have a question that started bugging me a few days ago and I can't seem to find an answer online.

Suppose I am sick of the internet (I am not, but I was a few days ago) and I wanted to make my own internet, possibly between myself and a few theoretical room mates or whatever.

Would it be possible to set up a USB network between a few computers? What would we need as far as technology goes?

Would it be possible to communicate with my friends across either a USB or a LAN network and have a server in a room host a local area website? This one I find really interesting, but I have no idea how to implement.

If you have any solutions for these questions, want more information, or have anything for me, just let me know.

Thanks,
Dolalmoth

yeah that's possible, it's been done many MANY times already.
Every time you go to a big company or college they'll usually have their own server(s). One thing running on those servers will be their intranet, which, among other things, includes 'web' pages accessible only from inside the company, or at least pages hosted on the servers.

The tech you'd need would be at MINIMUM:
1x server
1x workstation (but you'd want more obviously)
1x switch
Lan cables

Why don't you just use an ethernet hub? The only way that would mess with you is if you're all trying to connect to the real internet. In that case the bandwidth would be divided between all the devices on your hub, making downloads too slow and gaming a pain in the ***. For a home network, though, an ethernet hub should be just fine (pretty cheap to set up, too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom