A different problem with videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qiranworms

Fully Optimized
Ever since my latest Windows XP partition reformat, I have been having the strangest problem with playing videos that has affected WMP and RealOne. Put simply, videos simply appear brightened...colors less distinct...less detail as a result. Somewhat like reverting to a lower color setting and then shining a light over the computer monitor. Interestingly enough, Quicktime works perfectly normally and shows videos in full colors, with proper lighting. Doesn't matter what video either...videos that work perfectly in Quicktime still have the problem in WMP or Real. AND, if I resize it in Real Player to smaller then 100% it looks fine suddenly...even 99%!!! This does not help in WMP. This is DRIVING ME MAD!!!!:mad: Any ideas? Thank you.

yeah his problem is something to do with software becuase the problem is spanned across more than one player. i think qiranworms is saying the picture looks washed out. what movie players and codecs have you installed qiranworms? (divx, windvd, powerdvd, xVid,AC3)

I just reinstalled the media player (I don't know exactly how to go about reinstall individual codecs). Anyhow, the effort of reinstallation (ok ok...it wasted about two seconds of precious time :laughing: ) was all in vain, and the washed out video appearance remains. In an unfruitful attempt to fix the problem, ekÆsine, I installed DivX, but that did not change anything except make some random clip I downloaded appear properly (incidently, it looked fine) in Windows Media Player. However, this video was specified to need DivX and I was just feeling too lazy at the time to download it...yet as I always do, I kept it...just incase I might one time think to download DivX. That happened too. Anyhow, I've never heard of an overlay problem...could you possibly explain, preferrably with a method of tackling the issue? Thanks for all your help.

Anyone? Sorry to bother you all again...I still haven't managed to solve the problem. I don't like begging for answers like this...but after recently finishing all the file transfers I really want to save this format for at least 2 more months. ;)

Thanks everyone for your help. I got it working again (now to reinstall RealONE and KEEP it working). It was mainly an overlay problem, as Roho said, but I couldn't seem to keep that toggled properly with both media players installed (thanks Microbell). Anyhow, I left only WMP because of the additional effort required to remove it from an XP system, and played with all the video playback advanced properties. Toggling the Overlay settings fixed it.

Thanks for your help everyone. :cool:

(oh...and I reformat every three months anyway because of the clutter my system ends up developing).

i used to format a lot also. you should consider using norton ghost or drivequest drive image. after you set up your operating system exactly the way you want with all applications and games you can use ghost or drive image to save an image of your OS partition.

when something gets messed up on that partition you can restore the image making your OS partition run exactly the way it did when you created the image. ghost is very easy to use and most motherboards come bundled with this software for free.

i could send you ghost through email, i don't think it would be considered warez because i got this application bundle when i bought the motherboard. i dont plan to use the CD so why let it go to waste? just pm me your email address :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom