What You've Just Bought!

I recently bought a little robotics kit for the RPi (literally just wheels, motors and an ultrasonic range finder), but i've really enjoyed playing around with it, and i'm planning on adding a camera next. I've never done any electronics before, but i'm loving the learning process, anyone got any projects they've done to motivate me? Not necessarily just RPi based ofc :p

Get something arduino based or funduino, they're really easy to program/use and let you easily work with sensors/motors/etc.

Use it as a prototyping board to test out your projects, then you can get more specific thing e.g. a picaxe to make a smaller board/controller https://www.altronics.com.au/p/z6111a-picaxe-08m2-microcontroller

Make yourself a wireless doorbell, or automatic blinds that operate off a light sensor or clap signals, or get **** like this and monitor your garden/plants. It's a whole new wooooorrrld :p

My latest project isn't too exciting, used that 08m2 PIC to control an RGB strip for the upcoming halloween party.

Get something arduino based or funduino, they're really easy to program/use and let you easily work with sensors/motors/etc.

I have a raspberry pi, is there something Arduino does better? I've never actually used one.

And i like the idea of a wireless doorbell actually, that could be fun.

Well the price of a packet of cigarettes has just went up again in GB or at least England.

My local shop and convenience store is now charging £8.65p for 20 Cigarettes and £12.35p for a packet of JPS Volume Tobacco 30Grams.

I could cry at the debt I have payed out in the last 10 hours as of posting this but managed to get a 2Gib laptop module for an older system I'm going to run SETI on. Bought it of Amazon.

I have a raspberry pi, is there something Arduino does better? I've never actually used one.

And i like the idea of a wireless doorbell actually, that could be fun.

Whoops never replied sorry! The arduino is easier to use for electronic projects IMO cause it's not a fully fledged computer like the Pi is. It's a lower level controller, and runs what you tell it to as soon as it turns on, no OS or booting required.
The language makes it easy to reference and use the available input/output pins to attach whatever you need, and there's a regular boatload of existing breakout boards (aka shields) that expand the core functionality including an ethernet addon, DC motor controller, and SD card reader/writer

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom