Potentially the longest thread in history...

I just got around to reading the email about the revised leave/vacation benefits from work. For once they are doing something that actually benefits us.

Effective November 5th we will be allowed to carry over up to one week/40 hours of PTO from one year to the next. Before you lost whatever vacation time you had not used when your anniversary date rolled around. The maximum PTO is capped at four weeks/160 hours.

They have also changed how the amounts of vacation time is given. Before you got two weeks and did not get any more per year until you hit seven or 10 years. The new system starts a new hire at 10 days and then an additional day is added per year with the company, topping out at 20 days with 10 years of service. It looks like I will be getting 15 days this time around.

They also changed sick leave. Before you had to earn your sick leave and could have a max of three days at any given time. Once you used one or more of them then you earned them back at one day per quarter that you didn't use any sick leave. Now they are giving us 40 hours per year which starts on your anniversary date. Sick time cannot be carried over, though.

Man US vacation policy sucks :\

Over here it's pretty common to *start* at 25 days vacation, some places even 30 days, and then +1 day per year up to a cap of 35 or 40. That's my experience at least.

I'd drive off a cliff with only 10 days off work per year !!!

I am SO lost on that at this point lol. What a **** show. Though that's not really limited to brexit or the UK's govt; every large nation's govt that I can think of has devolved into a farcical caricature of what it was meant to be. Corruption so commonplace that it's the new norm now; instead of being surprised to find out your representatives are a bunch of self-serving ***wipes there's a mentality of "well what could I do anyway?". To be fair, what CAN you do anyway...

I really believe there will be some sort of new revolution that takes place, driven by communities connecting via the internet. Policies will be voted on by the people en masse, the construction of the policy will be put to the experts in the field(s) that relate to the policy, and the locals (or those that will be affected the most) will have the highest bias placed on their vote score.
Continuing on from that, the idea of "countries" as they exist now would also be dissolved with the advent of this new system - after all, the "locals" of an area might be split across a political border, but their needs would be the same given they are living in the same area. The reasoning behind their creation is archaic, and it's about damn time we moved on

I voted for Brexit, but jesus ****ing christ this **** show has blown my expectations in terms of how **** something can be. Our own politicians are a load of cunts, no money for anything at all. They've even gone back on their plan to fit sprinklers to high rise buildings after like 100 people died at Grenfell... they don't have the £250m required, apparently. And yet, whenever the tory parties power is on the line they will literally find £1bn+ seemingly overnight. You just can't make it up. I agree, politics has just turned into an enormous pile of wank over the past 10 years, and it's just getting worse and worse. Politics was crap before the past 10 years too, but not on this level, this is just a whole new level of incompetence and self serving. I kind of want some big world war just to reset the status quo of now.

Last edited:

Forget to order a couple of iPhone X's

GOD DAMMIT

I was going to sell them for like £500 profit each. Mother ****ing **** how did I forget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man US vacation policy sucks :\

Over here it's pretty common to *start* at 25 days vacation, some places even 30 days, and then +1 day per year up to a cap of 35 or 40. That's my experience at least.

I'd drive off a cliff with only 10 days off work per year !!!

Every year I end up having to rush to use up at least a week of vacation right before my anniversary date else I would lose them. If my company had the option I would just cash out that week and go right on.

Since mine is a non-government job I only have seven paid holidays: New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and a floating holiday for my birthday (must be used in the month of my birthday).

Every year I end up having to rush to use up at least a week of vacation right before my anniversary date else I would lose them. If my company had the option I would just cash out that week and go right on.

Since mine is a non-government job I only have seven paid holidays: New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and a floating holiday for my birthday (must be used in the month of my birthday).

Huh. I can never really understand people that want to work so much :p you don't even like your job do you ? so surely you want to be there as little as possible no ?

I get lots of paid holidays since it's a gov job :thumbsup:

Huh. I can never really understand people that want to work so much :p you don't even like your job do you ? so surely you want to be there as little as possible no ?

Most times I like my job... until I get screwed over by circumstances.

I am on vacation this week to keep from losing the free time. I would rather be working because the guy who is supposed to be covering my territory would rather sit on his *** than actually go and service those who need it.

Example #1: one of my stores had called in an issue about a register freezing up when they ran a check through the printer. Dude shoveled the call to another tech who called the store and got them believing that support would work on a software solution (the software is the problem in that it is very old and fast approaching EOL but the store owner is too cheap to buy the new software, and our company won't do diddly-**** with this software anymore). So my customer still have one of their four cash registers lock up when processing a check and no one is going there to check whether or not the printer itself is the issue.

Example #2: another store is having an issue with their Falcon unit (hand-held scanner that lets them change prices and such wirelessly). I had replaced their Falcon last week with one I had just got back from refurb; in fact the one I put in the store had formerly came from that store with the problem being the touchscreen was not working. I set it all up and tested the Falcon that day but, as usual, our refurb folks let me down because the Falcon's touchscreen stopped working Monday. So instead of taking a Falcon unit to the store, getting it set up on the wifi, and making sure everything works the way is should dude shipped the store a Falcon and instructed them to call support once they got it so they could remote in and walk the store through setting it up.

I would rather work through my vacations if my customers are not going to get the service they pay for and deserve.

Most times I like my job... until I get screwed over by circumstances.

I am on vacation this week to keep from losing the free time. I would rather be working because the guy who is supposed to be covering my territory would rather sit on his *** than actually go and service those who need it.

Example #1: one of my stores had called in an issue about a register freezing up when they ran a check through the printer. Dude shoveled the call to another tech who called the store and got them believing that support would work on a software solution (the software is the problem in that it is very old and fast approaching EOL but the store owner is too cheap to buy the new software, and our company won't do diddly-**** with this software anymore). So my customer still have one of their four cash registers lock up when processing a check and no one is going there to check whether or not the printer itself is the issue.

Example #2: another store is having an issue with their Falcon unit (hand-held scanner that lets them change prices and such wirelessly). I had replaced their Falcon last week with one I had just got back from refurb; in fact the one I put in the store had formerly came from that store with the problem being the touchscreen was not working. I set it all up and tested the Falcon that day but, as usual, our refurb folks let me down because the Falcon's touchscreen stopped working Monday. So instead of taking a Falcon unit to the store, getting it set up on the wifi, and making sure everything works the way is should dude shipped the store a Falcon and instructed them to call support once they got it so they could remote in and walk the store through setting it up.

I would rather work through my vacations if my customers are not going to get the service they pay for and deserve.

Fair enough... it is interesting to see the difference in attitudes to work between English and American people. You do get some super enthusiastic and dedicated people here with regard to their job. But most people just work because they get money at the end of the day. That's the only thing they care about. The second money is no longer involved, most people stop caring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get paid enough to care, at least in my eyes, but any time I do work I get paid anyways. We got pretty sizeable bonuses, easily acquired PTO, plenty of Gov time off etc. For instance most of December I'll be off work. We will have to come in mandatory for datacenter maintenance but that's double time for those that do get called in. I have no issues with $84 an hour.

i get off at 430, I'm in shutdown mode around 4pm...
I never care to work past my time.
One of my co worker shows up at 630 and leaves around 430-530 when we're only supposed to work 7.5 hours a day...I just don't get her.
I can't be bothered spending an extra min.
I love my job, have a lot of fun here, people are amazing but I have so many better things to do at home

I love my work but I completely gave up on the company. I was a very bad fit culturally anyway :p

Back
Top Bottom