Saving Word documents

Fiona

Solid State Member
I have a problem with Word 2007. I'm trying to save my Word docs to the desktop not a folder somewhere. Any ideas would be brilliant! I used to be able to do it but I have a new installation and I've forgotten how to do it.
The nearest I've got is to create a folder on the desktop for saved docs to go. I have a word icon in the navigation Bar which I open initially to create the doc. When it's saved it saves to the “Desktop” icon. A shame I can't give it the “Word” icon, but at least it works, sort of.

Thanks in advance...........

I have a problem with Word 2007. I'm trying to save my Word docs to the desktop not a folder somewhere. Any ideas would be brilliant! I used to be able to do it but I have a new installation and I've forgotten how to do it.
The nearest I've got is to create a folder on the desktop for saved docs to go. I have a word icon in the navigation Bar which I open initially to create the doc. When it's saved it saves to the “Desktop” icon. A shame I can't give it the “Word” icon, but at least it works, sort of.

Thanks in advance...........

Open up microsoft word 2007, type a few letters, go to the orb and hit file save as.
Choose the word document 97-2003, now take your mouse click on desktop it'll be on your left hand side.
Now click save, minimize word, and go to the desktop, right click show desktop items.
You should be to see it, also the document will look like this.
r8c6xl.png

+1 to what -Rockman- said; except I'd recommend keeping it as the 2007 ".docx" format rather than the older 97-2003 ".doc" format unless it needs to be put in the older format for compatibility reasons. Many underlying advantages to using the newer DOCX format over the older DOC format.

Open up microsoft word 2007, type a few letters, go to the orb and hit file save as.
Choose the word document 97-2003, now take your mouse click on desktop it'll be on your left hand side.
Now click save, minimize word, and go to the desktop, right click show desktop items.
You should be to see it, also the document will look like this.
r8c6xl.png

But I don't get the “Desktop” option after selecting “Save as”. I presume it got deleted sometime and I need to create a new one? But even if I did that, wouldn't it only create a new folder on the desktop rather than create an individual word doc on the desktop which is what I want?

What OS are you running?

If you're running Windows 7 and up, then it should appear at the top of the folder tree on the left side of the Save As dialog, like this (possibly under the 'Favorites' section):
openFile.gif

You can also get to it by navigating through this directory on the left side file tree: "Computer > C: > Users > "yourusername" > Desktop"

If you're on XP, then select Desktop on either the button on the left, or from the dropdown box at the top (outlined in red):
wd07_saveas_dialogbox.gif

Last edited:
I'm running Windows 7. I don't have a “Desktop” folder and there isn't a “Desktop” folder in the “Favourites” one either!!!!!! Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2777777-001.jpg
    2777777-001.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Is your "Favorites" section expanded? According to your Save As dialog, you're in a folder on your desktop right now. Just click in the address bar at the top, and backspace until it just reads "C:\Users\Walker\Desktop" and then hit the "->" arrow to go to it or press Enter on your keyboard.

As for having documents with a Word icon...I see your "Save As Type" is set to "Word XML Document" - this is just an .XML file. You need to click on that dropdown, and select the "Word Document (*.docx)".

Is your "Favorites" section expanded? According to your Save As dialog, you're in a folder on your desktop right now. Just click in the address bar at the top, and backspace until it just reads "C:\Users\Walker\Desktop" and then hit the "->" arrow to go to it or press Enter on your keyboard.

As for having documents with a Word icon...I see your "Save As Type" is set to "Word XML Document" - this is just an .XML file. You need to click on that dropdown, and select the "Word Document (*.docx)".

Thanks for getting back......

Yes the "Favorites" section is expanded and just reads “No items match your search” even though I'm not looking for a folder to put it in. The attachment I posted was what I see as part of the “save” process before any folders are created.

If I “Click in the address bar at the top until it reads "C:\Users\Walker\Desktop”and press Enter” as you suggest, I just get a choice of folders to deposit the word doc in.

The whole process of trying to save revolves around me being asked to search for an existing folder to save the word doc into which is not what I want. I want the doc saved on my desktop on its own. Previously I could do this in just 2 clicks. I'd then keep the doc on my desktop for as long as needed or straight away put into an existing folder somewhere.

Thanks for your patience.........

You should be able to just stay on the "Desktop" folder and not navigate in any folders on the desktop and just be able to save there. There's 3 Word files on my desktop already - and I have the option to save the "Doc1.docx" file there as well (the Save button is available).

See my attached screenshot.

Attachments

• savetodesktop.PNG
    savetodesktop.PNG
    85.7 KB · Views: 5
You should be able to just stay on the "Desktop" folder and not navigate in any folders on the desktop and just be able to save there. There's 3 Word files on my desktop already - and I have the option to save the "Doc1.docx" file there as well (the Save button is available).

See my attached screenshot.

We might be talking about the same thing here?

This is how I used to save a word doc;
1. Click “Close” on the open document.
2. “Do you want to save the changes to Doc 1” (say).
3. I click “Yes”.
4. I then click “Save” in the “Save as” window.
5. Doc is saved with the name taken from the first few lines of the text (so I don't even have to name it) and sits on my desktop out of a folder. All done in 2 clicks.........

Is this your experience?

Back
Top Bottom