win 7 vs 8.1

I've heard the interface is terrible as far as being like a tablet format...

That's the Metro start screen. There's a few things in the normal interface that's tablet like (wifi selection, charms bar, couple others). If you don't want to use the Metro UI or apps... you don't have to. I have it setup where I don't see anything metro besides the wifi slider.

Plus, "hearing its terrible" and actually trying it out are two different things...

Well it is a fact that W8/8.1 is designed for phone/tablet use. The point is made that you should install a 3third party app to change windows 8/8.1 in order to make it more useable with a standard desktop.

Well it is a fact that W8/8.1 is designed for phone/tablet use. The point is made that you should install a 3third party app to change windows 8/8.1 in order to make it more useable with a standard desktop.
Not exactly. Win 8/8.1 is designed with 2 interfaces, an interface optimized for touch (but still perfectly usable via mouse/keyboard) which is appropriate for tablets/phones but also includes the familiar Windows desktop. Unfortunately, MS removed the Start Menu that many people depend on. The 3rd part apps restore the Start Menu.

Personally, I use the Metro interface on my Win 8.1 tablet with a touch screen but use the desktop interface on my Win 8.1 laptop. I don't hvae any 3rd party apps installed to restore the Start Menu since I feel it is redundant and not needed.

Unfortunately, MS removed the Start Menu that many people depend on. The 3rd part apps restore the Start Menu.

"depend on" :p

More like they think they need it.

I got a 3rd party app to restore it mostly for the fact that I don't like the full-screen switch, especially if I'm working on something.

I just broke down and ordered a new Notebook. My last note book I bought in 2006 and the desktop I'm working on I built around 2008 and all of them have Windows XP. I've heard that Windows 8 has a lot of issues with it but Windows 7 is more like the old system so I ordered a Gateway notebook with Windows 7.

I already have MS Office 2013 to work with it when I get it. Can I use any other old programs with Windows 7?

Sarge

I just broke down and ordered a new Notebook. My last note book I bought in 2006 and the desktop I'm working on I built around 2008 and all of them have Windows XP. I've heard that Windows 8 has a lot of issues with it but Windows 7 is more like the old system so I ordered a Gateway notebook with Windows 7.

I already have MS Office 2013 to work with it when I get it. Can I use any other old programs with Windows 7?

Sarge

Why not try Win8 yourself rather than just going by what you hear?

And depends on what you mean by "older program" for running on Win7.

Unless your talking about 16bit programs etc. And is designed for windows you probably will be fine.
Plenty of exceptions though.

Back
Top Bottom