Unstable Internet when more people on same Switch

bengjo

Baseband Member
Hello,

We have fiber and since three computers in this house needs a wire connection, we use a Switch in order to get cables to all the rooms.

Problem is, when two or more people are using the internet (mainly for gaming purposes), the internet becomes unstable. What happens is it shuts on and off, quickly, which wouldn't be a problem if not for the gaming. You disconnect from games and have to log on again.

Is there any way to fix this? Should I get another type of Switch, perhaps?

If you need more information, please ask.

I would very much appreciate some help.

Well, if you're using Verizon FiOS it would be the ONT, but it more or less does the same thing as far as we are concerned in this case. You need a router instead of a switch.

Any router with an integrated switch (just about all current consumer routers) will work.

Well, if you're using Verizon FiOS it would be the ONT, but it more or less does the same thing as far as we are concerned in this case. You need a router instead of a switch.

Any router with an integrated switch (just about all current consumer routers) will work.

Will a router be wired to the modem? I don't think the signals are very good from downstairs to upstairs, you see. I do, however, have cables coming up from downstairs, so I could do it if the router can be wired to the modem.

A router would also have the ability to have several connections plugged into it?

Thanks for the help, by the way.

No problem. Yeah, the router will be wired to the modem. Just about all modern consumer routers will have integrated LAN switchports in the back, so you just plug the cables into the LAN ports - the same as you did with the switch (just don't connect to the WAN port, that will be what you connect the modem to). If you won't be using the wireless features then you don't need to worry about it (although you should turn the wireless off).

Yes, a router will support multiple connections. Unlike a home switch, it will allow all connected devices to share a single internet connection.

Any router you get should come with a setup CD that will help you get everything up and running.

No problem. Yeah, the router will be wired to the modem. Just about all modern consumer routers will have integrated LAN switchports in the back, so you just plug the cables into the LAN ports - the same as you did with the switch (just don't connect to the WAN port, that will be what you connect the modem to). If you won't be using the wireless features then you don't need to worry about it (although you should turn the wireless off).

Yes, a router will support multiple connections. Unlike a home switch, it will allow all connected devices to share a single internet connection.

Any router you get should come with a setup CD that will help you get everything up and running.

Ok. Thank you so much. :)

So I have a question for the OP, are you all playing the same game? If so, it could be a server-side issue, and not a client-side issue.

What game(s) are you playing?

So I have a question for the OP, are you all playing the same game? If so, it could be a server-side issue, and not a client-side issue.

What game(s) are you playing?

Yes, we are. World of Warcraft. It only happens on that game, too. I figured it was just because other games don't disconnect because of it.

Maybe you are right!

Got any tips?

Back
Top Bottom