Potentially the longest thread in history...

Once we are gone it will just be another paragraph in the history books.

It's up until here that I agree with you. While I know you didn't literally mean that it'll only be in history books, I'd argue that given the enormity of the media that we have provides much of the context and emotion to the history that until recently we haven't been able have (i.e. just books). For example, from the Napoleonic wars at best we have history books and written interviews, which only gives you a very limited emotional context to the wars.

However, nowadays (as in, that our grand/kids will have access to), we have teary-eyed video interviews from victims' families, video of the events and ensuing media panic, and so on. I reckon this will give a much better context to the history for our kids. There's the emotion to it that acts as an anchor in the minds of those who consume this new media that means they will remember it much better than similar events from the past.

Edit: Not sure if I should be included as one such kid, I was 9 I think when it happened.

Last edited:
Trust me trotter, it had an impact on me, and if I am not mistaken, I am the same age as your daughter. I was in 6th grade, english class, 15 minutes into it, we went into lockdown as requested by the state. Needless to say, the staff had no clue for about 40 minutes as to what happened. Once they found out, we came out of lockdown because if someone was attacking the states what good would a school do in protecting us. We all sat and watched the tv the rest of the day, we had class, but every class was focused on the tv, switching between classes in the school (close to 40 class rooms per grade, 20 students a room, 4 grades) was quiet, you heard nothing other than quiet walking. Most all of us thought another country had started a war with the states when we first heard it. It honestly scared most people.

From that moment on, I noticed prices on things going up, fuel for starters, yea, I remember the price gouging, but I also remember it NEVER getting back to what it was at, ever since the attack. In the end the attack IMO has resulted in the collapse of our economy. It wasn't just the banks that had a hand, with the higher fuel prices driving everything else in cost up, things had to eventually stop and fall apart.

So yes, it has had a huge impact that us younger folk can remember, at least, for the ones that cared enough to remember. I would say most schools didn't allow the news due to the images, but, our school, while complete jerks, allowed us that week to see what was happening. I still remember, but I also refuse to dwell on what had happened that day, because it can happen again, and it WILL happen again some day, just when. This is why the "War on Terror" is pointless to me, you can never get rid of every soul that hates american values due to "terror", if you do, then the country is no better than any other country that ended up on a path of war that lasted for generations, which ultimately collapsed due to that war.

But trust me, this generation will still remember it as if it was yesterday for the most part, it's just that most of us choose to not speak much about it, because the past is the past, you can't live on the past.

Last edited:
Happy-birthday,-@Ludacris.png

LOL

Re: Today I have...

Crikey, leave you guys alone for a second and look what happens :p

The further we go into the future, the more removed from the "bare basics" we'll be.

Unless you're living in an undeveloped place (think jungle/plains/etc, not suburb) with only things you've made yourself, you *cannot* take any position as to "how easy X has it". You only had one pair of shoes instead of 3? You only had 2mb internet instead of 20? Gee that must've sucked for both of you. Tell that african kid who just died of malnutrition because he couldn't even get any food, let alone clothes, let alone internet, let alone a jetpack, etc etc to infinity as we progress into a more technological future where who knows what will become "standard".

Point is, what we *consider* to be the "bare basics" will continue to improve as we improve as a species, as we can afford to give everyone better than they had before. Everyone used to be in a race for survival, pure and simple. That tide has turned for nearly everyone in the more developed countries. Hardly anyone wakes up thinking "how will I survive today". Until you all do, stfu about who should be happy with what because you have less than them.

ANYWAY XD

Today I've had some pizza, taken a leisurely walk down by the river, fixed a server that was eating its own hdd space, and later I'll be heading down to the pub to meet up with nitestick for a pint :D ey it's a good life

As someone commented in the article, I'd be curious to see how well they'd handle shock/bumps. Seems to me there could hardly be any failsafes built in, and it'll be like the 1st gen 2.5" drives where a slight tap on the top would kill the whole thing :p

Still, amazing feat of engineering. 5 freakin millimeters.

Sounds like something that Apple went to... Talking about the connection for it of course...

If they get them to the 1TB point, keep prices low, they might make amazing drives for servers where space is an issue... Just slide one in like a credit card, and your done. Need to pull it? Press eject XD

I am the opposite as far as remembrance goes. What you do not consciously remember you soon forget, and we should never forget what happened to our country... as well as to all of us.

The tragedy of 9/11 shattered America's bubble of being invulnerable on our own soil. An attack carried out by civilians killed thousands of innocent lives. That is a fact should always cause us to stop and give pause. We may not say much about the dates that the atomic bombs were dropped but the Japanese do remember them in a solemn way so as to remind themselves of the folly that has gone before.

My generation will be the last to say much about 9/11 as we were adults when it happened and it made such a huge impact on our lives. My daughter and her generation were there but it did not have the same context, the same depth. Once we are gone it will just be another paragraph in the history books.

Not saying 9/11 didn't have an impact, because jeez did it. Huge impact. Everyone who was conscious knows where they were when they heard about it or saw it. I just get tired of it becoming either an excuse or a political tool. It happened, it was devastating, but that's how it went.

Back
Top Bottom