Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Win7 on the Retina MBP would lol @ 1800p, since it doesn't scale. Everything would be absurdly tiny... I would love it but I have very sharp eyesight.

This is Windows 8 on it:
DSC_7424_575px.jpg

That video is actually playing in full 1080p.

Windows 7 and 8 both support setting different dpi's so it wouldn't have to be that way. We have a number of users with 15" 1080p laptops set to higher DPI for improved readability.

Considering every review I have seen of the new Macbook with that stupid screen is stating it is a throw-away if it ever has issues.... I feel sorry for Apple consumers.

What do you mean ? You mean if it breaks your screwed because it's impossible to repair it yourself ? Anyway, best get used to that supposedly stupid screen, because it will be in every decent laptop this time next year - I guarantee it.

Anyhow, browsing MacForums it seems there is quite a large issue with the new MBP. I don't know why it does this, but at certain scaling level in OS X options, it renders at something like 3800x2400 (cant remember exact figure) and then downscales to 2880x1800. Problem with this is on the desktop, only the integrated Intel HD4000 gpu is in use, and it just can't handle 3800x2400, apparently even browsing in Safari is a bit laggy. Whether it is a software or hardware problem, no one is 100% sure. But the only way to resolve it at the moment is don't have that scaling setting on, or turn the Nvidia 650M gpu on permanently, which can cope with it.

Win7 on the Retina MBP would lol @ 1800p, since it doesn't scale. Everything would be absurdly tiny... I would love it but I have very sharp eyesight.

This is Windows 8 on it:

-image snippedy-

That video is actually playing in full 1080p.

Microsoft have said themselves that ultra high resolution screens are well on their way, i'd be very surprised if they didn't have a robust scaling option in place. But yeah i'm the same, I would have it like that. Being young my eyes don't have much issue with stuff that small.

There's plenty of legitimate uses for TBP. It's discussion about illegal stuff that's against the rule.

I will say this, Apple using the Intel HD4000 series is a bit... Funny... They have a bug with the software that controls it and causes quiet a few games to bug out. The only fix is to get Apple to fix it, even Intel has fixed the issue, but Apple really doesn't bother. I laugh at the screen, because you won't be seeing most laptops with such screens for awhile on the consumer level. Sure there might be a few, but it wont be standard for a few years.

And no, I don't mean if it breaks you can't repair it your self. I mean that Apple will refuse to repair it or upgrade it, they will just hand you a brand new one and scrap that one. It is also nearly impossible for the end user to upgrade or repair due to the construction of it.

Well probably, but noone poor is going to be buying a $3000 MBP. Most of them will keep it 2 or 3 years and then upgrade. Apple knows this. I've never had a MBP, i'm not sure what options they offer in terms of backing up your data to put it onto a new mbp, but there must be a way. And if you can, I don't see the problem with them just handing over a new one if your old one breaks ? If I could restore my data, i'd much prefer a new one of anything than wait for them to fix it.

I think you should give them a chance to fix it before you say they don't bother.. it's been out all of 5 days :p

Back
Top Bottom