Dang SNOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents used to live off of Lake Erie in NY years ago and they told some incredible stories of wind, cold and snow ! I know when I was a kid ( I was born in the 60's hence my name Oldskool :p ) there used to be some severe storms by today's standards but I don't think that we here in Maine ever get it as bad as we used to. Do you find it the same in NY as well, Mak ?

You're older than me, by 6 1/2 years. :D Not too many of us old coots on here.

The cold is worse than the snow. It wouldnt be bad with just the snow but the cold and the wind is what get you.

Shoveling is just bad. I am out there for over a hour and i am like a ice cube when i get in. The wind chill usually is in the - area almost all of the time while the temp is usually just a couple degrees above freezing.

The storms can get bad though. We had one a few years ago that hammered us majorly. Over 300,000 people lost power for over a week. We had power lines down in the middle of streets along with tress that came down from the massive weight of the snow that fell that bad.

Downtown Buffalo shut down for a few days and there was roughly 5,000 cars stranded in the streets there. Some were recovered before the plows trashed them. Some were not.

So it all depends. Usually every few years we get a nasty storm. One that kicks us on our rears for a day then we get back to work as usual. Even when we had the major blizzard back in 96 we were only down for a day. Took me all day to shovel the snow that was up to my shoulders back then. Not a easy task to move all that snow around.

So yeah the storms here are nasty at times. Sometimes it is just a combination of the snow and cold that get ya. Other times it is just the fact that you let it got cause you dont think it is that bad then you get out there and are like WHOA!

Mak,

I hear ya about the cold... that is definitely worse. The major storm you sescribed sounds like the ice storm that the northeast experienced in '98. Most people up here were without power for approx. 10-14 days, some people even 3 weeks.

Chrysalis,

Hang in there brother ! ;)

You're older than me, by 6 1/2 years. :D Not too many of us old coots on here.
LOL !!

Yea, its snowing really bad here in Spokane as well and we have like almost 3 feet of snow on our roof.... I dont know if its gonna be safe or whether it would collapse or not.... its supposed to handle up to 5-6 feet of pure snow though or 5-8lbs of water per square feet. According to the news, the snow so far is estimated to be around 2-3 lbs / sq feet. :(

Well to add to the snow we got last week, the heat wave came thru and melted it now. Great. But now the wind has picked up.

Gusts of up to 70MPH and more are blowing thru right now. Sustained winds of up to 50MPH has been seen. The lowest mark is 42 MPH that i have seen since 8AM this morning.

What fun to see part of your roof shingles fly off!

What fun to see part of your roof shingles fly off!
:D Been there, buddy. I collected mine in a garbage can to present to the insurance adjuster when he showed up. I went by the old house the other day and it looks like I may need to do it again... unless we get it sold, still haven't heard back from our realtor on that lead.

It snows so much here in ontario canada. Few days ago we got what was easily 1m if snow and the power got knocked out. thank god for snowblowers and generators :)

The thing that really got to me last week was that the snow was up past my window in my room in the basement so I slept 22 hours and didn't even realize it. I fell asleep monday around 2 am and didn't wake up until tuesday at 11 30 pm. Confused the **** out of me.

It snows so much here in ontario canada. Few days ago we got what was easily 1m if snow and the power got knocked out. thank god for snowblowers and generators :)

The thing that really got to me last week was that the snow was up past my window in my room in the basement so I slept 22 hours and didn't even realize it. I fell asleep monday around 2 am and didn't wake up until tuesday at 11 30 pm. Confused the **** out of me.

Do you not have a body clock...... only times I have managed to sleep that long is when ill or extremely drunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom