Ubuntu 8 makes it even easier to try out Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
One aspect of installing Linux has always been a major hindrance for inexperienced users. The fact that you had to partition your hard drives in order to install Linux on your computer. While the procedure itself has become easier it was always mandatory to partition your hard drive. The good news is that this is going to change with the release of Ubuntu 8.
According to Techworld (and Dante) Ubuntu 8 can be installed and uninstalled just like any other software in Windows. This is thanks to Wubi which I have written about earlier already. There is no need for an extra partition and no change to the Windows bootloader. This is a fantastic opportunity to test Ubuntu for several days or even weeks before making a decision to switch completely to Linux or dedicate hard drive resources for a Linux partition.
Wubi will be accessible in the root of the Ubuntu CD. The new version of Ubuntu will be released in 21 days, currently a beta version can be downloaded from the homepage of the Linux distribution. I will finally make the switch to Linux when I have ordered and build my new computer. Linux will be the main system and I'm currently not sure if I will keep a Windows partition on another drive. Probably will because I need it to test new applications for Ghacks.

Ubuntu 8 makes it even easier to try out Linux

You can install any version of ubuntu with wubi.. even other distros.

This isn't something new coming with ubuntu 8. I strongly would suggest not using wubi, it causes way to many problems and installing ubuntu using the live cd is, just way to easy. If you don't know how to use the partition editor you shouldn't even be worried about linux yet.

You can install any version of ubuntu with wubi.. even other distros.

This isn't something new coming with ubuntu 8. I strongly would suggest not using wubi, it causes way to many problems and installing ubuntu using the live cd is, just way to easy. If you don't know how to use the partition editor you shouldn't even be worried about linux yet.

I have to fully agree with this. If you can not figure out how to manage your partitions the last thing you should worry about is a distro of Linux. there is much more that has to be learned first.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom