Win 2000 Server and Win XP Pro. (Need Professional HELP) NETWORKING!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyCurious

Daemon Poster
I am trying to set up a network with 2 computers. One computer has Windows 2000 Server and the other computer has Windows XP Professional. I have tried multiple things to try and get these things to connect, but I have had no success.

I tried giving each computer different IP addresses with the same submask, then I try to PING from the DOS prompt and they don't see each other. But the weird thing is that when I disable the local LAN on one computer, the other computer says "Network Cable Unplugged".

So basic problem is, I am trying to connect one computer to a server and it's not working. What can I do to make then talk to each other?

EDIT: I don't have a router, just a network cable going from computer to computer. And I have already tried the Windows XP Pro network setup wizard and the Win2000Server wizard too.

What type of cable do you have? It's more than likely going to need to be a crossover cable.

But just in case you have a newer nic that can flip the pairs if needed. Set up the following.

Comp 1:
IP: 169.254.100.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

Comp 2:
IP: 169.254.100.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

Once this is setup, try pinging. If it still does not work, you are going to need a crossover cable (leave this config).

I know it's not the cable because I've used it multiple times to hook up 2 computers...

hm.... I tried what you said and the WinXP gets a response from the other computer when I PING. But when I PING from the Win2000server there is no response from the WinXP, the request just times out....

What's wrong with this?

Oh, that's XP's firewall.

Go into the firewall settings page. Click on the ICMP button. Check Allow ICMP echo.

YOU ARE A FREAKING GENIUS! Both computers reply when I PING on either computer. Thank you! :)

One last question, both computers are still not displaying each other on the "My Network Places" folder. How can I get them to recognize each other?

Right click on my computer --> properties
Computer Name Tab
Click on Change

Fill in the workgroup field. Push ok about 3 times then reboot.

Yeah, you need all the PC's on the network to have the same workgroup. I use "Home Network" for mine, but pretty much anything works. You do need a crossover cable to go directly between two PC's, but I assume you already have one, either that or you have good network cards that detect and adjust for cable type.

HAHA!! You guys are great!

They both appear on "My Network Places" on each computer! THANK YOU EVERYONE. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom