Gparted/Hard Drive issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnOfDoom

Daemon Poster
Gparted wont let me partion more than 8 megs on my hard drive i've got 173Gigs out of 232 but its supposed to be a 250Gb drive. can anyone tell me whats going on?

It is a 250GB drive. But by going by the rules of PC's...

The 250GB drive is actually only 232GB after all.

As for the GPArted issue...I dont know. Can you run a CHKDSK on the drive to make sure it is functioning correctly?

it stopped at stage 2 im running it again when it got through stage 2 it said something aboud deleted some kind of networking xml file all i ran was chkdsk.exe

1.png

this is what i got
and it dissapeared after this

*edit* okay i found that i dont have a mount point .... what exactly does that mean? it says cannot finda mount point.... so how to i mount my hdd?

You will probably have to use a Ubuntu LiveCD or another type of LiveCD like Knippox which can mount the drive for you.

What is meant by mounting a drive?

Before your computer can use any kind of storage device (such as a hard drive, CD-ROM, or network share), you or your operating system must make it accessible through the computer's file system. This process is called mounting. You can only access files on mounted media.
Formats and mounting

Your computer stores data in specific, structured file formats. The format used depends on how your operating system is configured, but they all fulfill the same purpose. A file format is a specially coded template written on a piece of media (such as a disk or CD-ROM). Your computer reads the format to determine many things about the media: where data begins and ends, where data can be written, and how to read data that has already been written. If your computer does not recognize the file format on a piece of media, your computer will return errors. If you force your computer to work with media with a corrupted or unrecognized format, your computer will write data incorrectly, possibly rendering unrecoverable all the files stored on the media.

Mounting ensures that your computer recognizes the media's format, and instructs your computer to incorporate the media's filesystem into your local filesystem. If your computer cannot recognize the media format, the device cannot be mounted. When media is successfully mounted, your computer creates a mount point, a locally available link through which you access an external device. In Windows, Mac OS, or Mac OS X, the mount point is represented by a picture of a CD-ROM or floppy disk, or other icon. In Unix or Linux, the mount point is a directory. Most operating systems handle mounting and unmounting for you.

never mind i found out what seemed to be the problem
it was the fact i wasnt getting a clean shutdown out of windows that wouldnt let me partion the drive

linux is up and running now. i have another question

im downloading limewire but its not letting me install it it says that i need to close the update manager, synaptic, or aptitude. the only thing visible on my screen is just firefox and the installer for limewire that is giving me the error. how do i fix this? i tryed going to the synaptic manager but its giving me this error and closing.

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

how do i do what the instructions are telling me and should this fix the problem?

*edit* Nevermind ..... lol i fixed it i had to run it in terminal with sudo in front and now all is well
:p i apreciate you guys efforts :p

Sudo is almost essential...wait...it IS essential to install programs.

I prefer Frostwire in Linux because it had an easier setup, but they're both the same thing.

okay you seem like you know alot about linux. what are some commands i should familiarize myself with? i know sudo is important now. and also could you say what their used for?

sudo is used to give your account root privledges. It is basically giving your accoutn elevated rights to act like the root account and install software and such.

Depending on which Distro you use which commands you will come across. I have seen UBuntu command differ from that of Red Hat, Fedora, and other distros. What Distro are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom