help please and fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
They give you an answer.. filter the mac address.. and your response is to change your mac address?

Unless you switched out your nic, good luck on actually changing your mac address.. although a while ago, someone was talking about nics that could be flashed or something and have a different mac address.. I dunno, maybe your just ahead of me :]

mac adress changin isnt really hard u can do it off of the backtrack cd.

anyways log into your router default is user:admin pass:admin go to the wireless security and if u can use WPA, it is harder to crack than WEP but still fairly easy. also use MAc Address filtering and hide your SSID

ok your new to this aren't you?

first it would be useful to start with your router name...

OK, Norcent.... (I get off work in 20 min... will check back here when I get home)....

Just wondering... How did you come to the conclusion that it is your neighbor that is stealing wireless?
please list the router model name & info.
you will want to log into the router. To get the router's IP Address, open a command prompt (START > RUN > type 'CMD' hit enter), and type IPCONFIG. The DEFAULT GATEWAY is the router's IP Address. Type this into your internet browser. You will want to check the router's DHCP table info to see what addresses are being used, (maybe check the log too).... From the router config page, you can disable wireless, and the problem should be gone.... A simple step would be to unscrew the antenna from the router.

I have a swarm of wireless internet users around me and for a while I actually had people hacking into my network becuase my security measures weren't enough.

I stumbled across this site which has a few tips:
Wireless Security - WiFi Wireless Home Network Security Tips

It helped me get started, so this also may help you as it explains everything in very simple terms, kind of like network security for dummies.

Good luck!

that didn't help. Vernong I get what you where saying and that is how I found out my neighbor was using my internet.

I only have wireless and will never go back to cords. So how do i block my neighbor?

that didn't help. Vernong I get what you where saying and that is how I found out my neighbor was using my internet.

I only have wireless and will never go back to cords. So how do i block my neighbor?

ok your new to this aren't you?

first it would be useful to start with your router name...

that would be a start....

first any PC's that use your network.... run CMD and type ipconfig /all and write all the numbers under physical address

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom