NEtgear wireless access point problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrisbailey

Beta member
Ok heres the deal, i'm trying to set up a wireless access point in my work office to improve connection for laptop users.

I have 2 netgear dg834gt wireless routers. the first one is connected to my broadband line and I have enabled the dhcp on it. (this router i have no problem with and i can connect via the wireless

The secound router is connected via an ethernet cable and the LAN port on the first router. I have disabled the dhcp facitlity on this one. But whenever i try and connect to this through the wireless I get limited connectivity, even if i hard wire in i stll get no internet connection. It is getting slightly frustrating...

you help is most needed before these routers are no more....

Kev

This sounds like it could be a routing issue. Is the second router configured as a router or a access point? If this router has the settings to act as an access point and you are implementing this type of network you should not have issues. If it does not have a setting to act as an access point I would return one of the routers and get an access point.

The reason why this would not work is that if you have 2 routers both using the same network ex. 192.168.0.0/24, router 2 is not going to have the correct routes to router 1. Router 2 will keep looping back to itself because it does not know where to send traffic. And router 1 is not going to send anything to router 2 since it will only have a route to you ISP. You could try changing the network address on router 2 but I would not waste my time - this is only going to cause more work for you. If you want me to post a message on what you need for settings - you will need to provide more info about your network. I would need to know your internal network address. But I really would recommend just getting a new access point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom