Wii Help... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
Just wondering if any of you Wii nerds out there have noticed that the Wii tries to connect to the router even when it is off..... My router is set to email me the logfile when it is filled, and usually I get an email once a week or so since each DHCP lease will put a few entries in the log, and every time the laptop is shut and re-opened it has to renew the DHCP address.... whatever... that aside, I keep the Wii off (well, I THINK) when I am not using it.

Ever since I put the Wii on my wireless network, I have been getting about a half dozen or so logfile emails a DAY, just from the Wii renewing its IP address. When I am done with the Wii, I go to the Wii menu and hold the power button on the controller till the unit appears to power down. Is this the correct way to power it down, or am I a Wii-tard, and not doing it right? If this is the correct way to power it down, why is it still trying to renew its IP address while it is off.... (this is my brother's Wii, he is away at college, and I have no manuals or anything, and can't access any Wii stuff from work, cause the firewall blocks it).

I've noticed my Wii tries to renew its IP an awful lot.

Backstory: My XP box was doing the same thing, but since then I've changed the lease time for IP's to 2 days and the XP box is much more quiet from a DHCP standpoint. (thinking of going higher than 2 days... anyway)

When you just press the power button it goes to "standby" mode or whatever which still allows it to go out to Nintendo for whatever reason. You could probably either kill the main switch in the back or go into the System Settings and disable networking that way. Either way its a bit of a hastle.

i think there is a 24hr connect setting. which allows it to stay connected constanly. i disabled mine, because the blue light wouldnt go off, and it was hogging my wireless.

I will have to check into that 24hr connect thing.... cause I have the DHCP lease time set to 2880 minutes (2 days) in the router, and I am STILL getting DHCP renewals every 2ish minutes on the Wii....

Code:
Sep/09/2007 20:53:03 	DHCP lease IP 10.10.5.27 to Wii	 	 00-17-ab-e5-a1-68
Sep/09/2007 20:53:02 	Authentication Success	 	 	 00-17-ab-e5-a1-68
Sep/09/2007 20:53:01 	Authenticating......	 	 	 00-17-ab-e5-a1-68
Sep/09/2007 20:53:01 	Wireless PC connected	 	 	 00-17-ab-e5-a1-68
Sep/09/2007 20:51:04 	DHCP lease IP 10.10.5.27 to Wii	 	 00-17-ab-e5-a1-68
Sep/09/2007 20:51:02 	Authentication Success	 	 	 00-17-ab-e5-a1-68
Sep/09/2007 20:51:01 	Authenticating......	 	 	 00-17-ab-e5-a1-68
Sep/09/2007 20:51:01 	Wireless PC connected	 	 	 00-17-ab-e5-a1-68
Sep/09/2007 20:49:08 	SMTP: send mail succeed	 	 	 
Sep/09/2007 20:49:05 	DHCP lease IP 10.10.5.27 to Wii	 	 00-17-ab-e5-a1-68

I FINALLY remembered to look at this when I got home (I usually would remember ALLLL day at work, remember in the car ride home, then forget once I got there, and passed out.)... anyways. I disabled the 24hour Connect feature, and the issue is now gone. The Wii still works fine when powered up.

Yeahh its Called WiiConnect24 this Stays on your Wireless internet so If people send you messages the blue light near the CD Tray on Wii will light up and this also searches for new updates for The console the WiiConnect 24 Light is Orange

So why does the WiiConnect24 feature make a new DHCP lease request every 2-15 minutes or so instead of remembering its IP address each time it wakes up to check for messages and updates? I also have my router E-mailing me the log file, and it is full of the DHCP lease requests for the Wii. Several of the entries I get are 2 minutes apart! I have a static IP defined for my Wii on the router and the DHCP lease time is set to 2 days.

Tom

I think Nintendo thought that if it stayed connected 24/7 that it would annoy some users because of the small slowdown of constantly checking for updates. So they created it so that it connects quickly for a few seconds and then disconnects. It would do this instead every few minutes to save bandwidth. That's just my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom