Am i insecure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathanwest

In Runtime
The wireless network connnections window has multiple networks. Today I woke up, and powered on laptop and theere were already connections which were unsecured, and my router wasnt even plugged in. I could surf the internet. It said "automatic" underneath the connection. Does this mean anyone can look into my computer and see my personal stuff? This is confusing.

whether Your insecure or not i dont know :D but i think your laptop is. if its not an encrypted connection, data could potentially captured as you surf the web, but people wont be able to access your files except for the ones you have put in the shared folder.

whether Your insecure or not i dont know :D but i think your laptop is. if its not an encrypted connection, data could potentially captured as you surf the web, but people wont be able to access your files except for the ones you have put in the shared folder.

ok what should i do though? I dont know hat this 'netgear(automatic)' or 'wdr814g(automatic)' is. i think wdr814g is another type of router.

The wireless network connnections window has multiple networks. Today I woke up, and powered on laptop and theere were already connections which were unsecured, and my router wasnt even plugged in. I could surf the internet. It said "automatic" underneath the connection. Does this mean anyone can look into my computer and see my personal stuff? This is confusing.

I presume you mean in the wireless network connections it has multiple networks in range automatic means your wireless will automatically connect to those routers. If you disconnect it changes to manual.

As long as your wireless appears with a lock on the image saying WEP or WPA you are secure.

it doesnt, but it has a lock and whn i click advanced settings and then properties of it it has 'data encryption - wep' but the password below is already put in, and it has more characters than i set the routerlogin.com password at. what does this mean?

if im connected to one of the other ones, does that mean the users of those routers can see what im doing?

Setup a firewall........ yea if you are using a public access then you are always at risk if you don't have some sort of Firewall setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom