Bandwidth controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

and_woox

Baseband Member
I have a small network at work that is controlled by my dlink router(internet cable) and i'm having some computers on the network hogging a good amount of resource.
My question is: how i can control how much bandwidth each computer connected to the router will get?
This has been a tough problem for me because i really have to give some priority to computers that are connected to the headquarters.
Thank you.

Your going to need to invest in a professional level network switch. These will have a special console that you can access to control all aspects of the computers connected. Lots of QoS polices can be put in place to make sure certain machines have top priority over everyone else or certain machines have limited priority. You can do other things like block certain ports that could pertain to p2p traffic, etc.

A somewhat related question:

Is there a way to limit bandwidth of a specific program, like uTorrent for example? My download speeds are never that high, but it always sucks all the bandwidth and I can't do anything else.

Is there a way to limit bandwidth of a specific program, like uTorrent for example? My download speeds are never that high, but it always sucks all the bandwidth and I can't do anything else.
You should be able to limit the task's download/upload rate manually. Most, if not all BitTorrent programs can (I know my BitComet does).

Well, if I right click the actual download it has options for high, normal or low allocation. They don't seem to affect it though, is that what you mean?

Try to decrease the upload bandwidth limit on utorrent.
When I need to limit bandwidth I use Netlimiter. It works fine for me.

This is how it's done, you need a traffic shaper. I am a ltittle beyound drunk to get into detales right now but you need one.

Set up a Unix Windows or whatever I don't care. You need to have each segment of your network hoooked onto this computer through differentt nics in a gateway dealie. You want to use this software, it will allow you to set what each segment is allowed to use of the Internet. Most offer a percentege option some solid numbers.

I seriously recommend OpenBSD or FreeBSD for this type of operation.

It would probably also help if this traffic shaper ALSO acts as a router. Nip it in the bud man, get your NAT firewall, traffic shaper, filter, and DHCP in one foul swoopp.

Yeah man, party hard, live hard, that is how it is done!

I just remember, try to use cfosspeed. It's a traffic shapper for windows. If i remember well you can establish priorities for each program, I know that it does for http anyway.
But before you try netlimiter or cfosspeed try to decrease the upload speed a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom