10 computers sharing 2 ADSL lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

neeeel

Beta member
whats the best way to do this

for equipment i have 2 adsl routers( linksys and draytek) , and 1 HP 24 port switch. My first idea was to put 4 pcs on one ADSL line, and 6 on the other, but is it possible ( well im sure it is, but is it any different) to connect the 2 routers to the switch, and then stick all my pcs onto the switch. The switch is unmanaged, so will it utilise the bandwidth of both routers effectively? The PCs will be used for gaming a lot, so it will be important that someone surfing the net or downloading will not affect in-game pings.

thanks for any comments/help

whats the best way to do this

for equipment i have 2 adsl routers( linksys and draytek) , and 1 HP 24 port switch. My first idea was to put 4 pcs on one ADSL line, and 6 on the other, but is it possible ( well im sure it is, but is it any different) to connect the 2 routers to the switch, and then stick all my pcs onto the switch. The switch is unmanaged, so will it utilise the bandwidth of both routers effectively? The PCs will be used for gaming a lot, so it will be important that someone surfing the net or downloading will not affect in-game pings.

thanks for any comments/help

No, only 1 router connected to your xDSL modem. This is how you should have it going.

ADSL modem>WAN port on router/LAN port on router>Port on switch>computer.

The connection between the router and switch needs a cross-over cable.

oops, i probably didnt explain what i meant very well.
I am going to have 2 ADSL lines, to provide access for 10 PCs, and i want to make the most of the 2 lines. The 2 routers i have are modem/routers with 4 port switches ( shoulda said that in first post :S). So, my first idea was
just stick a modem/router on each line, and connect the 24 port switch to one of the modem/routers, and put 6 PCs on that line, and 4 on the other one
But i was thinking, can i connect the 24 port switch to *both* modem/routers, and just stick all my 10 PCs onto the 24 port switch? will this use the total bandwidth effectively, eg if one modem/router is getting most of the data, the switch will send to the other one ? im guessing not, since the switch is unmanaged.

oops, i probably didnt explain what i meant very well.
I am going to have 2 ADSL lines, to provide access for 10 PCs, and i want to make the most of the 2 lines. The 2 routers i have are modem/routers with 4 port switches ( shoulda said that in first post :S). So, my first idea was
just stick a modem/router on each line, and connect the 24 port switch to one of the modem/routers, and put 6 PCs on that line, and 4 on the other one
But i was thinking, can i connect the 24 port switch to *both* modem/routers, and just stick all my 10 PCs onto the 24 port switch? will this use the total bandwidth effectively, eg if one modem/router is getting most of the data, the switch will send to the other one ? im guessing not, since the switch is unmanaged.

I do not think you will be able to do that unless your router support those features. That basic SOHO switch will not even come close to preforming what you are talking about, nor do I know any layer 2 switches being able to even come close to those features. Most dual WAN router will probably be able to load balance and provide line redundancy using two WAN line. But this is a single device and not two router like in your situation.

But you should be able to use both line, it's a matter of controlling which computer uses which line by assigning the computer's default gateway to the corresponding router. The default gateway is what the computer use to communicate with other network (like the Internet). You may be able to set all devices in the same subnet. Say router 1 LAN address is 192.168.1.1 and router 2 LAN address is 192.168.1.2. Computer 1 through 5 uses 192.168.1.1 as it's default gateway (DG) and computers 6 through 10 uses 192.168.1.2 as it's DG. You should disable DHCP in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom