Firewire VS USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firewire seems to generally work better than USB, it just isn't quite as widely compatible.

Hello,

Yep. In the real world, FireWire is faster than USB 2.0. Though, not greatly.

Cost and marketing are probably the two most significant factors which affect the popularity of both of the technologies. The marketing of USB has been more successful than FireWire. When FireWire technology was nearing the end of development, development of USB increased due to the threat of Apple contemplating on charging manufacturers a large sum of money per port to license the use of FireWire patents. As a result, Intel chose to implement support for USB in their chipset technology, and Intel was a big player in the market.

In addition, on a cost benefit analysis, USB costs less then FireWire to implement (and cost is important to manufacturers), and simpler than FireWire technology, while still providing good performance.

Another question: why firewire 400 the cable is up to 4.5m but firewire 800 can make it up to 100 m ?

at my school they have disabled the firewire ports, i have no idea why

Personally I think firewire was a big mistake because USB alone was a great successor and firewire just doesn't cut it. Even though it is used in camcorders but not widely used. Anyways people who own camcorders should get DV tape reader so we don't have to deal with firewire. Even though Ipods sold large amount and are still popular, they have to stick onto something else rather than competing with Intel, Windows or any other companies which already exist.

one thing firewire has over usb. firewire can transport video and audio at the same time where as I think usb cant. or at least not as fast. I can convert video from a digital camcorder at much higher resolutions with firewire then I can with usb. with usb on my camcorder I was limited to 320x240

firewire let me do 640x480 and higher I believe

people are afraid of change it is simply this that firewire will not become dominant over usb. Linux is another example it is better than windows but no one will change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom