Acces to certain sites doesnt work via router

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiledok

Beta member
Hi,

I'm new to this site, but I'm hoping someone with experience might be able to help me.

Recently I noticed several websites just aren't working on my computer, mainly americanexpress.com and relatedrentals.com. It just comes up like a DNS error, IE couldn't find website, blah blah.

After about a week, I got annoyed and tried to see what was happening. So I disconnected my WRT54G and ran directly through the cablemodem (Time Warner). No problems, instant connect.

Back to the router, did a factory reset of all settings, no fix.

ran tracert amex , didn't understand what it was doing

Attempted to connect via anon. proxy. Related worked OKAY, some minor glitches with popups, amex - no go.

I'm not a hacker, i dont think amex would have blocked my IP and relatedrentals is nothing more than a reaestate company. No reason to block me.

Upgraded the firmware to the WRT54G, no fix.

So why would the router block me from these sites? I do have a router firewall active, i'll go try to shut that off now, but i dont think thats the problem since these sites just randomly shut down.

Oh and I ran SpySweeper 3x cleaned the system. There wasnt anything on there either except some tracking cookies.

ANyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

- Kevin

Is that the only possibility? My wireless was encyrpted so I dont think anyone from the bldg was on there using it to do evil things. I'm not that great with networking to figure this one out, and I'd rather not have to buy another router.

You'll want to check the DNS settings on the router. You've pretty narrowed it down to that being the problem. The hard reset should have solved that, but sometimes weird things happen.

Make sure you are getting DNS settings from your ISP. Or, use a service like OpenDNS.

Check with your documentation on where these settings are found in your router. And no, they haven't blocked your IP otherwise you would have been blocked when you plugged directly into the modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom