XP Mode in Windows 7 without Hardware Virtualization

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's using shared resources from the host computer. It's using 'virtual' hardware, but the resources are from the original host computer.

Um, that's exactly what I said. Windows XP mode includes the license.

I'm not sure about the legality of using Windows XP on the same machine if you've used that license to upgrade to Windows 7. If you've verified this with official channels, I'll take your word for it. That's not the same as running Windows XP in a virutualization app. That still requires a full, separate license.

What are the many, many, many ways people can use Windows XP in a virtualization app other than owning a full retail license?
you TOTALLY misunderstand everything i just said.

A. XP Mode does include a license. But it is not a unique license for each user. There is a big difference. It is a general license that is the same for everyone. I am in the process to verify this as we speak. If I am correct than my statement is totally true. While XP Mode does include a license it is a far cry from that of a Retail or OEM.

B. Yes you can use the same license. Reason being you can NOT directly upgrade from XP to Win7. It requires a clean install. Therefor XP is not on the machine at the time and you can reuse the license. Since it is not in use in any way,shape or form.

C. Lets see you can install XP in VM and run it for 30 days with getting updates and not having to activate. You could at the end of those 30 days, remove the VM and reinstall the VM and never need a license at all. That is just one of many, many, many ways that people could do this. But no one seems to want or think of ways to stay completely legal along with using a VM.

D. It would be exactly like XP Mode as you are running a Virtual Software. XP Mode runs inside Virtual PC from Microsoft. Running it in XP Mode or running it in VMWare or Virtual Box is the same exact thing. You are taking the license aspect to far. In basic terms all license stuff aside it is exactly the same. As i have already stated there are ways to stay completely legal and run XP in VM without every having to use a serial or activation.

I am not going to give out more examples as i dont feel like giving out every possible aspect that can be done. I have already given 2 examples which almost everyone can use to run XP on Win7 without any problems as all.

Actually, it is different. A virtualization program uses different hardware than the host computer.
You do not understand that XP Mode IS running in a virtualization program. It is just a program that uses Hardware based virtualization rather than being fully dependent sharing the resouces.

XP Mode uses the SAME exact hardware. I can still use my physical DVD Drive, i can still burn disks, i can still play games from my Drive. All using the SAME EXACT hardware that the host is using. It is NOT different hardware.

Actually, it is different. A virtualization program uses different hardware than the host computer.

Physically, data exists on the same hard drive (in non network environment). Physically, the data is processed by the same processor. Physically, data is stored in the same memory chips.

I understand the point your trying make though. The data passes through a virtualization layer between the hardware & OS.

Let's back up for a minute. I think we have a communication problem.

Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 includes a full, legal license for Windows XP. I don't see where we disagree on anything related to this.

Windows XP Mode is different from VirtualPC, VirtualBox, and VMWare.

What I'm saying is that you cannot use a previously activated OEM copy of Windows XP on VirtualPC, VirtualBox, or VMWare. The hardware is considered to be different.

Alright tried and tested. XP Mode uses a generic serial. So it isnt anything special. It is a single serial that is used on all machines. CarnageX and myself both have the same exact serial for XP in XP Mode. That proves that my theory is right and that the license used is a VLK or MAK serial that has unlimited activations. I wouldnt be surprised if this serial hit the net and is used for other purposes.

What I'm saying is that you cannot use a previously activated OEM copy of Windows XP on VirtualPC, VirtualBox, or VMWare. The hardware is considered to be different.

XP Mode is not a virtual machine. It is a VM image. Hence why you require a VM to load the image (be it VirtualPC, VirtualBox, VMWare, etc. etc.).

Why wouldn't an OEM copy be able to be used in a VM? It's the same hardware. VM is a way that software virtualizes said hardware so that a virtual machine can use it.

Let's back up for a minute. I think we have a communication problem.

Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 includes a full, legal license for Windows XP. I don't see where we disagree on anything related to this.

Again it is a different type of license. It is not a license that falls into the OEM or Retail category. So to say that it includes a fully legit license, while correct, can not be compared to using a OEM or Retail version. It is a VLK or MAK serial. Those do not fall under the EULA that OEM and Retail licenses do. It is a totally different EULA cause the license is different.

XP Mode is not different. It still uses virtualization. No matter how you slice it. It uses Virtual PC to run. You have to run the software in a Windowed mode to use it. That is exactly the same way you would operate it in VMWare, or VirtualBox. The very FIRST thing you have to download and install to even run XP Mode IS VirtualPC. So you can not say it is different when it is using the exact software you are saying it is different then. How is that even possible?

You COULD use a OEM serial if you installed Win7 on the same machine you had the XP OEM on. Please read my posts again. You can NOT upgrade from XP to Win7. This is a know FACT that M$ themselves have talked about. So therefor the license is NOT in use while you are using Win7 and CAN LEGALLY use the XP Serial in VMWare even if you do not qualify for XP Mode. For retail you can go even further. As Retail LEGALLY allows you to install and activate on 3 machines as long it is only on a SINGLE machine at any time you could even use a NEW PC with a OLD Retail Serial and still be fully legit.

So yes there are many ways that it can be done. You are just to tied up with the difference between XP and Win7. If you have a old OEM machine that used XP and you got a new machine and wanted to use that old serial, you are right you couldnt, as it is a NEW machine. But there is NO hardware change if you use a XP machine and directly upgraded that machine to Win7. No changes aside from the OS. It would still be fully legit to use the OEM serial. As you did not change the mother board which the OEM serial is tied to.

It's considered different hardware for purposes of licensing and activation.
No its not. You can legally install XP in a virtual environment for testing purposes. This is stated directly by Microsoft. It is NOT considered different hardware. I dont know where you get that from. Maybe cause VM uses different drivers? I dont know. but the fact is that the HOST machine's hardware is what matters! Not the VM.

VirtualPC is a separate program from Windows XP Mode. You can't install VirtualPC on a computer that has Windows XP Mode installed. They're separate, Mak. I've actually created this scenario and verified it. I've also done extensive research on Windows XP Mode. It is not the same thing as Microsoft VirtualPC.

Virtual hardware is different from the hosts physical hardware for purposes of licensing and activation. There's nothing else I can say on the matter. You don't agree. That's fine. But it doesn't change the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom