XP Created Unexpected New User Account

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM2-Inc

Beta member
While attempting to resolve a problem with my New DEL Precision M6400 Laptop (mind you, it's 30 Days only and Dell has already replaced the Hard Drive, Mouse, and 2 Motherboards...I think it was build on Friday at 4:49 pm), I inadvertently deleted the "Client for Microsoft Network".

It wasn't until I rebooted that I got the error message "Unable to Log on..." or something like that. Reading through this forum I discovered and corrected the problem...part way...

Once I rebooted, I selected to "Log on to This Laptop" but still no access to the network drives. I rebooted again and selected "Log on to Network" (were "Network" is the name of our network).

A few strange questions popped up (can't remember them now) and all of a sudden I've got a new user account on my laptop with different settings. As I'm the administrator on the Laptop, I checked the "User" list but the new account doesn't appear in there.

The original account was "dmarr", and now there's another account with "dmarr.adv" (adv is the network).

I don't want a bunch of useless accounts on this laptop, and I want my old profile back. I'm picky so, I'd like to get rid of the ".adv" account but I need that to log onto the network.

We're a small company so I share the "Network" responsibility with my partner and we contract the real stuff to others more experienced than I.

Can ya'll give an old boy some good, new, advise?
Regards

Dan

login as the laptops admin account. (assuming xp) open system properties, click advanced tab, click settings under user profiles. copy the old account folder under documents and settings to the new account folder.

logout, login as the new account

this should have copied the old user profile to the new user profile. the settings should match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom