Wireless Keys and Sysprep... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Mandakay Send a message via AIM to Mandakay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandakay
Question Wireless Keys and Sysprep...

Hi All.

Here's what I'm doing: I am creating an image for several models of Compaq/HP laptops. I have the wireless setup and connected, run sysprep (MiniSetup/Reseal), let it shut down, then take an image. When I apply the image it runs through sysprep and sets up windows for that machine. (To test this problem I'm actually skipping the whole image part and just running sysprep.)

Here's what I'm running into: with 4 models of wireless NICs, 2 will hold the WEP key (64 or 128bit, doesn't matter) and 2 will not. It would make sense if none held the key, or if all did. But I can't figure out why Sysprep is screwing with the drivers for 2 models, but not the others.

I'm running Windows XP with all current updates. Driver versions are all updated.

If anyone has any ideas or experiance with this, help is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-06-2004, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Wireless Keys and Sysprep...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mandakay
Here's what I'm running into: with 4 models of wireless NICs, 2 will hold the WEP key (64 or 128bit, doesn't matter) and 2 will not.
Mandakay,

When you say 4 models do you mean 4 different types on nics? or four identical PC's with identical nics?

Old 05-06-2004, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Mandakay Send a message via AIM to Mandakay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandakay

I have 4 different Compaq NICs. WL110, "802.11 Multiport", WL200, and W500. The WL110 is in a Compaq n600c and Compaq Armada E500. Multiport is also in another n600c. 200 is in a Compaq n610c. W500 is in an HP nc6000.

The 110 and and the 200 hold the key; 110 holds it on 2 different models of laptops. the Multiport and W500 will not hold it.

Since the 110 is a PC Card, I'm working on trying it in the nc6000 (with the W500 disabled of course) to see if it will hold the key. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-06-2004, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

OK, so I disabled the w500 in the nc6000, popped in the wl100 and imaged it. The image copied down, sysprep ran, I logged in and it connected to the wireless. It has to be something about the way they made this wireless cards.... or the drivers... or something.

Anyone?? *sigh*
Closed Thread