WinXP Won't Start - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 10:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Techie

ok what would be the proper way to format it while I have it in my computer? I would like to format it and then stick it back in the other computer and then reload Win XP on it.

Old 12-17-2004, 10:32 PM   #22 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Go to start>run
type:
diskmgmt.msc

rightclick the partition you want to format

Old 12-17-2004, 10:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Techie

Forgot to mention that the computer that I currently have it in is a Win98 computer, thus above run command didn't work.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

you can also rightclick the drive you want to format in mycomputer, should work in 98 unless its NTFS.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Techie

that is what I was hoping to hear, will give it a try now and then reinstall in the other computer.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

You could also wait and format during the XP installation process.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Techie

I think that I may have a failed hard drive. As the XP disk trys to setup there is a blue screen that states a fatal error has occurred with setup and that windows is shutting down to protect the hard drive. When starting the computer it will never boot to DOS. After putting the Hard drive in my Win98 computer, I had the option of formating but it doesn't look like it actually formatted it. Guess I have to think of something else, which may be just buy another hard drive, of course that will mean that I will have to buy WinXP also.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:34 PM   #28 (permalink)
Super Techie

I had EZ Clone laying around, so I cloned the hard drive from my Win98SE computer to the harddrive from the computer that I was having trouble with, I will now install this harddrive in my computer as the master and then do a fomat since putting it back in the other computer will not work because there will be registery conflicts.

Alright, looks like the hard drive is no-good. While formatting got an error that stated the disk is damaged and may need to be replaced.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:45 AM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Nice case haha
Old 12-20-2004, 05:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Techie

UPDATE..........First I will say Thanks to everyone that offered help. Turns out the hard drive was OK after a proper reformat. Turns out that even though I was going in to the Bios and setting the boot order to CD first (yes I was saving upon exit) it was not taking. Ended up having to press the "escape key" multiple times to get into boot order. I was able to boot and install with the original disk from my office Dell Lattitude 800 running XP Professional. After installing, I called Microsoft and explained that the computer belonged to my 5 year old son, who is visiting dad who will be heading back to Iraq after the New Year for another 14 month or so tour. Hard to believe, but the tech gave me a new product ID number and activated me. All is well now.