WinXP SP3 Reboot Loop & Error on Dell Intel system - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default WinXP SP3 Reboot Loop & Error on Dell Intel system

Hi,

I'm new to the fourms so please forgive my newbieness..
I recently performed an XP Pro "repair/install" on a Dell Inspiron530. All was well until I installed SP3 and then the system began looping. There was a BSOD displayed for less than a second which I couldn't read. I booted to safe mode, disabled the "automatically restart" option from the "Startup and Recovery" window, booted normally and was greeted the following BSOD detail.

It read:

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xB9EDAA3B, 0xBA4C3324, 0xBA4C3020)

*** fltmgr.sys - address B9EDAA3B base at B9ED3000, DateStamp 480251da

I booted into safe mode again, reverted to a previously created restore point and the system was normal once more. I went back to do some house cleaning, removing all temp files, cookies, reg cleanup, etc. I scanned the system using PC Tools Spyware Dr and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, no threats or infections were found. I ran scandisk and defragged using "MyDefrag". I checked the Device Mgr for caution signs or any irregularities, everything looked in order.

I tried installing again only to get the same result.

I've reviewed some of the forums and knowledgebase articles I could find relating to this type of error but most them seem to be referring to HP AMD systems.

I pulled the below from the systeminfo output

OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
System Model: Inspiron 530
System type: X86-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz
BIOS Version: DELL - 42302e31

Any ideas / help would be appreciated

Thanks

Old 10-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: WinXP SP3 Reboot Loop & Error on Dell Intel system

I found this at the Dell site.

Re: 0x0000007e, FLTMGR.SYS, can't get into safe-mode, BSOD at startup - Desktop General Hardware Forum - Desktop - Dell Community

Old 10-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Solution: Re: WinXP SP3 Reboot Loop & Error on Dell Intel system

I thought since I was able to find a solution to this exact problem I would post it for anyone else to find in the event they had any similar misfortune.

And thank you to those who offered suggestions.

After a nearly mind numbing amount of research in forums like this one, knowledgebase articles and alike it occurred to me that the Dell provided image of XP Pro I used to perform a repair install must have been tailored for systems with AMD processors and motherboards. Since this Inspiron was Intel based, I thought I would try a different vintage of XP Pro.

I had another retail version of XP Pro SP2 that, after restoring the 530 using a restore point created just prior to the SP3 install, I used to perform another "repair / install" with. I of course did some house cleaning first.

The bottom line on this is that it worked. After the 2nd repair / install I was able to download and install SP3 without incident. No BSOD, just a normal post installation reboot and life was better than it had for a few days again.

I hope this can be of help to someone.

Tony