Windows XP: where does "Repair" gone?

wytas

Baseband Member
Ahoy, in fact Christmas are coming so merry Christmas all :D
I got a PC with "NTLDR is missing" first thing i had try was to make Windows XP Repair but Repair windows was missing, it was like skipped or something...
wXPPressR.png.pagespeed.ic.nTM0G0ycDq.png

So i copy NTLDR file from a Win XP CD to C:\ then i got "NTLDR is copressed" then i went to Win XP Recovery Console (On Win XP CD) I removed compression attribute from NTLDR: attrib -c ntldr.
Windows XP started, while i made sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r i was happy, started to laugh with my college... no error was detected. I restarted PC all i get at system boot was blank window with cursor blinking.
I gave up and started to think about Windows re - install, i started PC from Win XP CD.
Now i see Windows XP Repair window :silent: where was he gone... why i see it now...
Any suggestions? All the time i was using the same CD.
After Windows Repair system works :)

in theory if the windows install did not detect a copy of windows already installed it would not offer the repair function, as it would have nothing to repair.
Maybe the previously corrupt NTLDR file was stopping it from detecting the install, and when you copied the NTLDR file from the CD, it allowed the install process to detect that windows was already installed so offered the repair function.
As I say this is just theory and not based on solid facts, but it would make sense.

It would make sense. But when i went to Windows XP installation window, where i can chose partinion to install OS i see there that there is OS installed on C:\ disk.
Maybe at this point installation looking for information in other place...
I started celebrate to early Windows Repair stuck on "Windows XP Please wait..." window ...
Starting to wounder about some hardware problems...

HDD works fine (in my opinion :) ). I used Ubuntu LiveCD to check it. HDD have two partitions, i checked that all user data is stored not on system partition. So i made a clean Windows XP re-installation (I just got "Welcome to MS Windows" screen :D ) .
NTLDR problem started when PC owner deleted some files in Doc. And Settings directory...
dam those woman :D
So if that was when the problem started then HDD should be fine.
About Hiren, t.y. for that i was totally forgotten it. It is a great tool.
Well for now helped OS re-installation.
Thanks all for help ;]

Back
Top Bottom