Windows XP Pro SP2 USB issues... HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Washa

Solid State Member
Hi guys, making my virgin post here so be gentle ;)

I recently installed a fresh copy of windows XP pro with SP2 and now I am having major problems trying to install my G15 keyboard and standard USB optical wheel mouse.
I have had no problems with them in the past, but now have a legitimate copy of windows and major issues!

Windows detects them with no problem, however it cannot seem to install the drivers. I have installed the software for the keyboard, and allowed windows to access the web to look for drivers and still nothing can be found for either of them.

The only changes to my usual setup are that I now have the legitimate copy of windows XP pro with SP2 already on it, and that I have installed Trend Micro PC-Cillan 2007, whereas up until now I have had 2005.
I installed the virus software before trying to plug any USB devices in, if that matters?

Specs:
A8N-Sli Premium, Chipset 6.65, bios flashed to 1.09
AMD 3800+ Processor
1 GB Corsair dual channel RAM
XFX 8800 GTS 640Mb PCI-e graphics card. (I know I need to upgrade my board and cpu to get the most out of this)

Hope someone out there can help me, I haven't been able to find anything on forums.

Cheers

Thanks for the quick response.
I have already downloaded the updated drivers for the keyboard to no avail.
I still have the same problem with the mouse after updating windows as much as is possible.

When I plug the keyboard in, 3 devices are detected.

G15 Keyboard
Logitech Gaming Keyboard
Logitech Gaming Keyboard

None of which have any luck at finding drivers. I have tried having the keyboard unplugged and plugged in while installing and it makes no difference. The keyboard works fine outside of windows.

I am hoping that I don't have to reinstall windows?

Have you tried restarting your computer?

Or try Device Manager to locate the drivers on your computer?

Yeah I have restarted the computer multiple times, and no joy with device manager either.
Here are my IRQ details if that helps... doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, looks like there might be some conflicts though?

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 10 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device OK
IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller OK
IRQ 15 NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller OK
IRQ 16 Intel(R) 536EP V.92 Modem OK
IRQ 16 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
IRQ 17 Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller OK
IRQ 18 NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS OK
IRQ 20 NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface OK
IRQ 21 NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller OK
IRQ 22 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 22 NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller OK
IRQ 23 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 23 NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator OK

Plug and Play is a beautiful thing in XP. You shouldn't have to worry about IRQ's they will be set correctly by windows.

Normally I would agree with you :)
But PnP doesn't seem to wanna play this time around for me :(
Any other ideas?

Trying to avoid another re-install of windows

My only other idea would be to use a Din connector for the mouse instead of the USB

I can handle having a standard mouse. It's the keyboard thats the problem. I love my G15 :(
It all powers on ok, just no **** action in Windows.

Could Service Pack 2 be the problem?

I doubt it. I believe it's a matter of going to Device Manager and installing all the drivers for the keyboard. Hence, you say it detected 3 items when you plug it in...its very possible that windows may have installed the drivers for one of these and not the others.

- right click my computer from the start menu

- left click manage

- left click device manager in the left plane

- in the right plane locate the keyboard and right click

- select update drivers

try the automatic way first. if that doesn't work go back and select the other method. direct windows to the directory where the drivers are located and that should do it... if not ???? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom