darkseed999

Solid State Member
Hi,

I just built a new computer with the following specs:

Thermaltake Tsunami Black Aluminum ATX Mid tower case
Asus P6t LGA 1366 Intel X58 Motherboard
Western Digital WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model
Trendnet Wireless N PCI Adapter

Building it was great, everything went together well.
I want to dual boot Windows XP/Windows 7 on this computer. I tried installing a Windows XP Home edition that was store-bought with a legitimate CD key. After inputting the CD key and everything, at one point it asks:

Some files on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD are needed.

Insert Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD into the drive selected below, and then click ok.

The box only has a single cd in it. I have no clue what's causing the problem, but if I press cancel on the window twice, it continues installing but it goes extremely fast. After installation, it allows you to log into Windows XP but it is like a shell. It does not install any of the features, with things noticably missing such as Internet explorer, and pretty much everything else. It also doesn't recognize ethernet cables/network cards/etc.

Basically, Windows XP does not install correctly.

I've re-installed it twice now, each time reformatting the hard drive. Same problem twice. Could it be a problem with the optical drive that I'm using? Otherwise, what's the problem?

in I remeber correctly, you can't install a quad core processor and 6 gig of ram to an xp home sp2 and before disc as it only recognize 2 cores

Yes it is Service pack 2, I'll try the nLite thing.

Edit: Used nLite and integrated SP3 into the installation and burned it, but I'm skeptical about this. I'm about to try to install with it, I'll see how it goes.

Edit2: I tried using the integrated XP, but it actually failed during the partition...

Edit3: I created a partition with Gparted, then tried installing with the slipstreamed disc, during the copying files part, it got to 7% and failed to copy driver.cab ; I'm frustrated and confused :(

Edit4: Should Gparted only be taking one second to create the partition? After I click the apply button, it literally takes 1-3 seconds and it says it is done. Comparatively, the Windows XP partition device took an hour(not the quick one).

Edit5: Used my friends DVD drive, that turned out to be the problem. The old one must not have been reading it properly. Just have to buy a new DVD drive now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom