Windows XP Install disc won't boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never would have thought that that was the issue but.. It worked. I erased every bit of data from the drive, and the Windows installer will now begin to load.

Now, however, I have another problem. Once The install disc finishes it's first setup sequence and the status at the bottom of the screen says "Starting Windows" (This is before "press F8 to continue" or disk partitioning) I get the following BSOD:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing Video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates, Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select SafeMode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005,0xF78360BF,0xF7C82208,0xF7C81F08)

*** pci.sys - Address F78360BF base at F782F000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

Sorry EricB, didn't see your message before I started.

Lovely. That's a new video card. It's still within a month so I can return it. I only have the one card in the motherboard. Could it be the PCI interface driver instead of the specific video interface driver?

OK, just got some new infor in a chat with a friend. It is most likely the motherboard.
http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/sutra808879.html
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Support/k8t890-a.aspx?MenuID=95&LanID=9

When I was fisrt setting this system up, I had a VooDoo5 PCI card in it. The system would not POST with that card. I bought an AGP card to try (not one from the list in the second link) and did not get any image at all. I then got the PCI-E card that I am currently using. Turns out the AGP slot on the ECS board is tied into the PCI bus. If I fired the AGP/PCI bus while connecting a non-supported video card, that would explain the error with PCI.SYS.

It's not a big loss. I got the Processor and motherboard in a combo for $200 at Fry's. I've looked up the cost of the processor alone to be $250. So I'm happy with getting a new motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom