Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Source Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Released

Microsoft has just released the second service pack for the Windows Vista operating system which can either be downloaded as a standalone package or via Windows Update. The standalone package not only contains the Windows Vista Service Pack 2 but also the second service pack for Windows Server 2008, a combined package so to speak. The size of the 32-bit standalone package is about 302 Megabytes for the five language and 390 Megabytes for the seven language service pack and almost double that amount for the 64-bit standalone package which comes in sizes of 508 and 622 Megabytes.
The size of the Service Pack 2 is considerably smaller when downloaded over Windows Update with all downloads being less than 100 Megabytes in size for all possible editions. Microsoft has created a What's New article at Technet which details the most notable changes that are introduced in Windows Vista Service Pack 2.
Changes that affect most users are the removal of the halp open outbound TCP connection limit, support for Bluetooth 2.1, improvements to Wi-Fi connections and configurations and the integration of Windows Search 4.0.
The standalone Windows Vista Service Pack 2 can be downloaded from the following pages:
Windows Vista Service Pack 2 5-language (English, French, German, Japanese, or Spanish) standalone pack download
Windows Vista Service Pack 2 5-language DVD ISO download
Windows Vista Service Pack 2 5-language 64-bit download
The all language standalone packages are not available yet, the links are the following for 32-bit and 64-bit
Please follow these links for additional information about the second service pack:
Notable Changes
Release Notes
Hotfixes and Security Update List

I downloaded it and it's telling me I have to have SP1 installed 1st. I have SP1 installed. I tried re-installing SP1 but of course it see itself fine. Anyone have any ideas? I'm waiting for a reply from the microsoft forum, I can see that taking a week.

Cool, I have a question though, is this like a normal Windows Update where it installs and you reboot and away you go? Or is it like a OS install where you have to install all programs ect. again?

Downloading via Windows Update now on my laptop. Will have to do it on my desktop later on w hen I'm not using W7.

installed it and just like the pre-release it killed my 3rd party themes.

Yes it will. the reason, you have to find and re-patch your UXTheme.dll file since it was replaced by a Microsoft one. This should have been known. It has happened with every SP release since they UXTheme.dll patch releases started back with XP SP1.

Mine installed fine. I had to use the standalone since Windows Update wouldn't recognize the SP2 update telling me I could use it. Seemed to add about 25 gigs to my main drive though... I had 208 GB free now I have 234 GB free, I'm assuming thats just a glitch and will go back to normal once rebooted. Now I'm off to patch my UXTheme.dll again ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom