Windows Live Messenger - Side-by-side Incorrect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prisonbreak94

In Runtime
Hey guys,

So I've gotten back from where I spend my summer break, and I am back home, to my lovely desktop. I was very happy about this but I came back to face a couple of problems/errors. I had a registry issue which gave me a BSoD but I solved that. Now my issue is with Windows Live Messenger.

I used WLM for about 30 mins before signing out...I was messing about with my iTunes library & music...about 45 mins later when I tried to login to MSN, I got this error message:

C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.

WHAT I TRIED SO FAR:

-Uninstall & Reinstall WLM (3 times) - each reinstall was followed up by a reboot as well.
-Downloaded and Installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86 - For 32 Bit Systems).

Can someone please help - thanks!

Have you used Revo Uninstaller to remove it? Have you gotten it from the Live Essentials site? Have you tried older versions like 8.5?

I got it from the Live Essentials site. Essentials - Windows Live
But it was working a bit ago and for some unapparent reason it suddently stopped working. I haven't tried older versions, to be honest I like the newest WLM but if I can't solve the problem I'll use an older one.

What does Revo Uninstaller do? Shall I give it a shot? I mean, I've uninstalled the WLM 3 times and reinstalled, but again of course used the same setup from the Live Essentials site, and that made NO difference. What do you recommend at this point?

EDIT: I tried a system restore as well to earlier today when I am certain the problem didn't exist. The system restore failed. Twice.
EDIT #2: Downloaded and used Revo Uninstaller. Cleaned every registry crap that came up and reinstalled WLM but still face the same error.
EDIT #3: Windows Live Messenger 8.5 (2008) works. I would rather use the newest one though. I'm guessing you can help me out after these three updates!

Is the system up to date with all the latest patches? Since a older build works but the latest build doesnt, you might need a build inbetween. There maybe a bug or something that is preventing it from installing.

Do you have .NET 3.5 SP1?

Yeah, I have .NET 3.5 SP1
About the up to date with all the latest patches part, do you mean windows updates? I just got back from a 2 month holiday and it seems there are some updates to be made but then how come WLM 2009 would work for a bit then stop working suddenly? I'm going to bed now but I'll update tomorrow and post how things go

Maybe because one of the updates works in conjunction with it? Maybe one of the updates broke it? I know that version works as i am using it myself.

Can you suggest another site rather than the Live Essentials to download the WLM and what difference does it make anyway???

I've updated my system and once I get back home later on today I am going to uninstall 8.5 and try installing the WLM so if you think there's a better alternative than the Essentials site, post it up and I'll download from there when I'm home.

Thanks for your help

Well, following the updates, I tried once more the latest MSN but the same error comes up. I now recall that my father came and used my desktop a couple of times, he perhaps might have messed it up, who knows.

I used a few of Osiris' tools but I found nothing. However when I got home I had a blue screen which told me there was a registry key or something like that missing, so it is possible that the computer got infected - correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems like I'm going to use 8.5 for a while and if you or someone else is not able to suggest some other solution it seems like I'll make backups and go on to format the PC.

I am even considering Windows 7 but I don't know if compatibility is good with all the software, games, programs etc I may want to use and I need to think about it.

IF you are able to suggest any other possible solution, please do. Otherwise, can I please hear what you think of Windows 7, how games and software compatibility is on it and what advantages or disadvantages it has. Let me know and sorry for asking so many questions lol :)

Well without being able to use a Restore Point and the BSOD which stated a Registry problem and no backup from before you left, there might not be much of a choice.

As far as Win7 goes, i have posted all of my feelings in that nice long thread. If you looking for specific programs and compatibility i can be of help letting you know what is or isnt compatible. I do run it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom