Windows install freezes. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2007, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Windows install freezes.

I'm trying to install XP pro on a partially new comp. The motherboard, CPU, video card, and optical drives are from a previous machine. The ram and hard drive are brand new. Anyways...

I enter in my serial number and my name and that whole bit. It starts to do its thing and then it freezes. Tried multiple times, same thing. Any ideas?

It stops at the "Registering components" part if that helps.

Dell E1705
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz T7200
2GB DDR2 667MHz
80GB 5400RPM HDD
256MB nVidia 7900 GeForce Go

Old 03-18-2007, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to silvercoin
Default Re: Windows install freezes.

One of the drivers the installation is trying to copy to your system is not functioning.

What to do:
At the part where the installations is stalled, prest Shift+F10. A command prompt will appear. open the setupapi.log and check the last inf that was created by the installation.

Go to C:\Windows\INF folder using the command prompt and delete the last inf file that was recorded in the setupapi.log.

If the last inf created is the machine.inf, there is no chance of a successful installation. Your machine.inf file contains the information about your mobo. Without this, your OS cannot function. if this is the case, you might want to ask your vendor to do burnIn tests for the RAM, Harddrive and MoBo.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default Re: Windows install freezes.

did you try taking one stick on ram out and trying it again? and then if that one dont work, try the other?
Closed Thread