Windows EXEs broken

LanHikariDS

Solid State Member
I just did something so unbelievably stupid. I had a program that, when I ran, Windows said it didn't recognize the file extension (Odd, considering it was an EXE). I noticed the filename was 'Java'-something, so I decided to associate it with Java. Well, my computer decided that ALL .exe files will run through Java, so I can't really do anything now. I uninstalled Java, and now Windows just asks what to associate .exe files with. What do I do?!

EDIT: Nevermind, got it working again, had to download a registry file to reset my stupid mistake

Last edited:
Sounds strange, sometimes the registry gets corrupted itself but usually it's a virus, I would suggest running a scan using Malwarebytes Anti Malware AFTER we've restored the file associations to the PC.

I've got the following from the Microsoft support site so don't worry, it's totally legitimate. This is assuming you are using Vista/7 (though I suspect it should work in Windows 8 too). Regedit may or may not open (it's an .exe), but I suspect Microsoft have included a .com version just in case. If you can't open regedit then we can try and solve that first.

To resolve this issue, you can reset the registry settings to their default settings. To do this, follow these steps.

1. Click the Startbutton and type regedit in the Search box
  2. Right-click Regedit.exe in the returned list and click Run as administrator
  3. Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe
  4. With .exe selected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…
  5. Change the Value data: to exefile
  6. Browse to and then click on the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile
  7. With exefileselected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…
  8. Change the Value data: to "%1" %*
  9. Browse to and then click on the following registry key:

KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open
  10. With openselected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…
  11. Change the Value data: to "%1" %*
  12. Close the Registry Editor and restart your PC

Last edited:
I just did something so unbelievably stupid. I had a program that, when I ran, Windows said it didn't recognize the file extension (Odd, considering it was an EXE). I noticed the filename was 'Java'-something, so I decided to associate it with Java. Well, my computer decided that ALL .exe files will run through Java, so I can't really do anything now. I uninstalled Java, and now Windows just asks what to associate .exe files with. What do I do?!

EDIT: Nevermind, got it working again, had to download a registry file to reset my stupid mistake

Good to hear, Do you mind posting what you done to resolve it. cheers :cool:

Uninstall any old Java versions and try to reinstall the latest version of Java.

Back
Top Bottom