Windows 8 BOOT PROBLEM! (From CD)

Ornamexito

Baseband Member
Hello, today i was going to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 8.1 on my
Desktop. I burned the image to a DVDRW, then started it and it worked fine on windows 7 but i wanted to do a clean install from bios and format the windows 7 hdd. The problem is that when i try to boot up the dvd, the screen says "boot from cd/dvd:" i press enter, and then all it shows is a black screen and then after 10 second a weird yellow screen with black lines going down !!! ???
P.S I tried to boot up the CD on my Laptop, and it works and load FINE!! :mad:

What is the problem? Thanks

And also i tried to mount the iso file of windows 8.1 using winrar, but im getting errors towards the end. Should i download again? I got it from Microsoft DreamSpark

I would say it could be a bad download if you're getting errors trying to open it with an archive program.

If you're using Chrome, use FF or IE. I've noticed that Chrome can't handle large downloads very well. Happened to a friend when he downloaded Win8 off of DreamSpark one time as well; the download was corrupt at the end and it wouldn't quite work right when he tried to install it.

I am currently downloading a 64 bit version of it, last time it was 32. And no, im using firefox. I will see if this one boots up in a few minutes

Ok, i didnt get any errors when mounting this time, but the dvd still wont boot! Could it be because its a DVD RW that has been formatted and written on a lot of times? should i buy a new dvd?

Ok, i didnt get any errors when mounting this time, but the dvd still wont boot! Could it be because its a DVD RW that has been formatted and written on a lot of times? should i buy a new dvd?

Yes, use a dvd-r disc or go for the usb flash drive route.
Microsoft Store

Use this for your next burn attempt to either dvd or flash drive.

Thanks for replying, but I have managed to install it by opening the setup.exe in windows 7. I will soon get a new system with new hard drives so I will do a clean install then

Thanks for replying, but I have managed to install it by opening the setup.exe in windows 7. I will soon get a new system with new hard drives so I will do a clean install then

Good luck. +1 to the tool Mike linked to; it works well for both Win7 and Win8 as I've used it several times. Much faster than using a disc.

And I'm guessing it could be due to it being a DVD-RW, as they're rewritable and it's possible that it needs the "finalized" track sector.

Two other alternatives for preparing installation media on USB are the Install Windows 8 button on the Upgrade to Windows 8 with only a product key page at Windows Support or manually creating bootable USB media. To manually create media prepare the USB drive using the following commands in DiskPart where Disk 1 is the disk number of your USB device:
Code:
diskpart
  select disk 1
  clean
  create partition primary
  select partition 1
  active
  format quick fs=fat32
  assign
  exit
Then copy the files from the Windows 8 installation media or from inside the ISO to the newly created partition.

The primary reason to perform these methods rather than the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool is to preserve USB 3.0 support. This way you can install natively over USB 3.0 at full speed.

You can also create USB boot media using the Microsoft deployment tools like MDT (Microsoft Deployment Toolkit). MDT allows you to import the installation files from your installation media into a Deployment Share, and then customize the installation procedure to include custom applications, settings, and drivers. The operating system can then be deployed via the network, optical, or USB media.

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
The Springboard Series on TechNet

Two other alternatives for preparing installation media on USB are the Install Windows 8 button on the Upgrade to Windows 8 with only a product key page at Windows Support or manually creating bootable USB media. To manually create media prepare the USB drive using the following commands in DiskPart where Disk 1 is the disk number of your USB device:
Code:
diskpart
  select disk 1
  clean
  create partition primary
  select partition 1
  active
  format quick fs=fat32
  assign
  exit
Then copy the files from the Windows 8 installation media or from inside the ISO to the newly created partition.

The primary reason to perform these methods rather than the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool is to preserve USB 3.0 support. This way you can install natively over USB 3.0 at full speed.

You can also create USB boot media using the Microsoft deployment tools like MDT (Microsoft Deployment Toolkit). MDT allows you to import the installation files from your installation media into a Deployment Share, and then customize the installation procedure to include custom applications, settings, and drivers. The operating system can then be deployed via the network, optical, or USB media.

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
The Springboard Series on TechNet

Sweet, even though some of this is abit over my head I'll keep that in mind in the next few weeks.
Let me ask you this if its alright.
Even when I use windows 7 usb tool and I do loose support for usb 3.0 speed.
Would you agree or disagree that would be easier for most regular consumers ?
Keep in mind half of the people here or elswhere you meet on a daily basis aren't really tech savvy.
They like it simple and easy to understand to get rolling.
Also when i use the tool I copy over any downloaded apps and drivers put them in a folder on the usb 7 drive.
Never had a problem doing it that way, once windows is setup I just let the apps install manually by me and be done within 2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom