Windows 8.1

MillField

Daemon Poster
So has anybody got 8.1 yet? I just updated yesterday and I'd like to share a few opinions about it:

• The start button is better, but still a dissapointment.
  • Resizing start menutiles is useful but only for tablet users.
  • Boot to desktop was badly needed and I'm glad it was included.
  • Same background for desktop and start menu is a nice touch that really makes a difference.
  • The new "search everywhere" feature is pretty cool.
  • The Windows Store looks and functions hell of a lot better.

That's pretty much all I can think of so far. I'm happy I updated. It hasn't exactly saved Windows 8 from being a bit of a train-wreck but it has made the user experience better. Definitely worth the free update if you are a Windows 8 users.

I've been using it about a week or so now on my main rig after testing the RTM for a long time in a VM. There are still things I dislike about Windows 8 in general (regardless of the update) but in 8.1 I haven't run into the issues I ran into the 4 times I tried 8 previously. That's a plus 1. Although I must admit, I haven't done a whole lot since I switched back from 7. Only minor things like edit a photo, browse the internet, and watch a movie. No gaming yet besides Sims 3.

I'm using Startisback so no Metro for me, but the multi monitor support for the weather app is nifty and I do like that.

My only real complaint so far is the watermark left on my desktop because I refuse to setup SecureBoot. I was forced to use UEFI to install rather than USB (USB option on the menu would just blink a cursor at me) so now I have a SecureBoot watermark on my desktop forever.Not really that big of an issue, but it's annoying if I make a desktop screenshot or something and also makes it look like I'm not running legit.

Also, a complaint probably only by me, is the pastel and flat scheme. I still do not like this, but I'm trying to ignore it as best as possible. I know that they default to the 95 theme if something goes wrong so it IS there, and I'm just waiting for somebody to figure out how to bring that back.

I have a friend with that same watermark problem, really annoying! 8.1 seems to be running a bit smoother for me but it's not been too dramatic of a leap in performance.

Yea. All I have to do is just enable it in the bios but I don't want to deal with it. Watermark it is.

8 literally doesn't bring much to the table in terms of performance compared to 7. I mean that in the most honest way possible. I've only noticed Explorer is refined in files transfers but that's about it. Some people say their boot times have drastically improved but I'm on the fence on whether it was the OS, or simply having a fresh install without any extra BS. My boot times have only decreased about 4 seconds. Can't really comment on HDD performance because I didn't play with the HDD VM copy that long due to it being painfully slow compared to an SSD.

8 literally doesn't bring much to the table in terms of performance compared to 7. I mean that in the most honest way possible. I've only noticed Explorer is refined in files transfers but that's about it. Some people say their boot times have drastically improved but I'm on the fence on whether it was the OS, or simply having a fresh install without any extra BS. My boot times have only decreased about 4 seconds. Can't really comment on HDD performance because I didn't play with the HDD VM copy that long due to it being painfully slow compared to an SSD.

My boot times have improved by about 10 seconds. But even still I prefer 7. It is just overall more stable than 8 and the new features introduced in 8 really don't interest me all that much. Honestly, a lot of it seems to be "developed for tablet, ported to PC".

My boot times have improved by about 10 seconds. But even still I prefer 7. It is just overall more stable than 8 and the new features introduced in 8 really don't interest me all that much. Honestly, a lot of it seems to be "developed for tablet, ported to PC".
Steve Ballmer wanted to copy Apple's integration between all platforms which is why we got this **** on PC.

Back
Top Bottom