Is Windows 7 worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I installed Vista, I did it as a dual boot with XP. I never booted back to XP.

When I installed the 7 RC, I did it as a dual boot with Vista. I never booted back to Vista.

When I installed 7 RTM, I just formatted the disk and went with 7. If I'm not going to use the other OS I might as well open up the space. ;)

This is exactly what i did. But when i bought my SSD i only installed 7. My upgrade discs came today :) Need to reinstall over the weekend i guess.

If you don't mind spending a little extra cash get win7. I'm a huge fan of Vista, but as others have stated 7 is better.

I did the same thing as Trotter, except when 7 was in beta, lol. As soon as a beta came out I ditched Vista and used 7. :D

I'm going to reinstall pretty soon too. Been running the RTM I got from my brother but I just renewed my TechNet subscription so I'm going to do a fresh install with the retail version. :D

Is Windows 7 Worth it?
My experience is.. I was using vista x64 on my i7 20 gtx-285 system before i installed windows 7 x64 (the upgrade, with a fresh install) this weekend! It's a great upgrade. I think they almost downplayed how much 'snappier' it is than vista, things are noticeably faster, from vista and xp. It's neat how after the install it automatically connects to your network (trys to), mine worked perfectly and it received all updates, from graphics to printers. Things just wokred. I like WMP is a bit better in windows 7.

I've been using Windows 7 for months. While I'm excited for it to come to the district, I think more of it is just relief to know there's no chance of us deploying Vista now. Even still I'm having a headache getting 7 to work efficiently for us. Granted, it blew Vista out of the water with what it's done so far, but there's some more work to do before we blast it to every pc.

The reality is, if you're on XP and XP is working fine, I see very little reason to upgrade, even from a security standpoint. 7 is a pretty well rounded OS, but I'm also one of those "if it aint broke don't waste the money on fixing it" types.

That i cant agree with. The Security is XP is lacking in every account. With Vista and even more so in Win7 with UAC a person, especially in school, is so much more protected. UAC is a big help to security, even though everyone hates it. It does so much to help a PC user out but no one is willing to live with a pop up to stay secure.

That i cant agree with. The Security is XP is lacking in every account. With Vista and even more so in Win7 with UAC a person, especially in school, is so much more protected. UAC is a big help to security, even though everyone hates it. It does so much to help a PC user out but no one is willing to live with a pop up to stay secure.

The UAC thing is certainly something to be debated. Users use computers as a tool to get things done. Being prompted 9 times to open command prompt and control panel isn't a way to "help a user out" even if it's an attempt at being more secure. Although I think it's more intelligent in 7 than it was in Vista, that was the first thing I turned off, as I'm sure it was for many users.

yes more intelligent and lighter than in vista, **** i am even a fan of IE8 now it didn't work well with vista but superb with 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom