Windows 7 or Windows 10?

How does the iPhone have anything to do with the Windows store exactly?
If the iPhone's app store is not totally foolproof-ly secure, not is windows likely to be. But since windows app store requires approval of stuff, and I remember getting a bunch of free games, etc. that's a positive
Apple's approval process is much more strict than Microsoft's, but it's not really that relevant to the convo. Most people I know don't even touch the Windows store or built in apps, and there will be slip ups on any platform. It all falls under common sense computing really.

And the RAM thing you explained is called Superfetch. It's just a much better version that we saw in 7 and Vista.
"What they forget is that the Cache filled by SuperFetch and the standard caching mechanism runs on a lower priority; in other words, memory requests by applications will always supersede SuperFetch." from http://www.osnews.com/story/21471/Su...it_Works_Myths
realized i was wrong in saying that low ram is disadvantageous in this case, whoops!

Why was it better in 7 and Vista? Seems like I can't trust the "best answer" on a forum, as the info i found on other sites support what you said with regards to superfetch. Pretty sure superfetch is the same concept, no matter what the OS.
It wasn't, I said it's better than in Vista and 7. As in the WIndows 10 iteration is much better and basically redone. That article you linked was written in 2009, the same year 7 came out. In terms of caching, memory usage, drive usage, Superfetch, and kernel Windows 10 is much better than 7. Aka typical resource usage. That doesn't mean I'd run Windows 10 on 4GB of RAM (which it can), just that it's much better at handling what's available than the OS's that preceded it. Local caching and Superfetch also work a bit differently and compliment each other in 10 as opposed to 7 and Vista. Another point to make is if you have an SSD Superfetch is still pretty pointless.

It is relevant. OP hasn't stated their purpose. Apple's approval process is stricter yet some managed to bypass. All i say is windows is similarly secure but not foolproof.

Why is superfetch pointless on an SSD ? RAM is ALWAYS faster than an SSD, probably not a noticeable difference however. I still have a HDD on the computers running windows 10, booting up and running applications is fairly slow. So i definitely recommend a SSD. I dont have much space left on my SSD, it runs slower than new but still fast. The HDD's slowed down a lot over time, from personal experience.
It also depends on the SSD, the slowest one takes ~30 seconds to boot up, so it probsbly does make a difference in that case.

And with regards to RAM, i found the 2 articles contradictory, unless i'm misinterpreting ?

It is relevant. OP hasn't stated their purpose. Apple's approval process is stricter yet some managed to bypass. All i say is windows is similarly secure but not foolproof.
It's moot because of this below.

Most people I know don't even touch the Windows store or built in apps, and there will be slip ups on any platform. It all falls under common sense computing really.
You're not forced to use the store at all, and you can uninstall most of the apps that come with Windows or remove them altogether with a lite version of 10.

Why is superfetch pointless on an SSD ? RAM is ALWAYS faster than an SSD, probably not a noticeable difference however.
You answered your own question. Superfetch is used to cache regularly used programs into RAM for quicker startup than off the HDD. So if you boot your PC and the first thing you open is a browser each time, Windows will cache that in RAM for a quicker startup on boot. With an SSD this isn't needed. I haven't used Superfetch in any of my SSD machines for this reason and I've had SSDs since 2008. On a HDD it makes a load of difference, but usually a HDD based machine due to budget reasons will probably have a lower amount of RAM anyways so it's a catch 22.

So i definitely recommend a SSD. I dont have much space left on my SSD, it runs slower than new but still fast. The HDD's slowed down a lot over time, from personal experience.
I think you're trying to mix two different threads here, let's avoid that. Yes, a HDD will slow over time due to small file fragmentation. That's normal.

It also depends on the SSD, the slowest one takes ~30 seconds to boot up, so it probsbly does make a difference in that case.
If by that you mean Superfetch, it has nothing to do with boot times. OS caching and Superfetch are independent of each other and only compliment each other in Windows 10 to try and achieve SSD like performance.

And with regards to RAM, i found the 2 articles contradictory, unless i'm misinterpreting ?
Yes, I think you're kinda falling over yourself here because of the discussion in two different threads. The guy on Toms and myself are saying the same thing.

I'll quote what he said for reference.

win 10 uses ram differently to win 7, in 2 ways.

1 When you close a program, instead of dumping all the data directly onto your hdd, it compresses it into ram so if you open the same program again, it will be much faster to load. This is cleared out on a restart so its not always waiting for you. It is also emptied if PC actually needs that ram for you

2. Because Win 10 uses fast startup, when it is turned off by you shutting PC off, it actually just goes into hibernate. Half your open program data is saved to page file, the other half to ram so when you start PC, its really only loading half the amount of info compared to a fresh startup on win 7 which has to load it all off hdd.

#1 is mentioning OS caching. For programs that aren't used on a regular basis when you open them and close them they are left in RAM. Let's take for example a program like OBS that isn't used all the time. When you open it, then close it the program is saved in the local cache in RAM so when you open it again it loads quicker while using a standard HDD.

#2 is a hybrid form of hibernation. Instead of completely shutting down half the OS is stored in RAM the other in pagefile. This is great for a HDD based machine so it will boot quicker. If hibernation is disabled the PC completely shuts down. This is also part of the OS caching.

Not to be confused with Superfetch. Superfetch monitors programs you use on a daily basis to constantly cache them in RAM so they always load up faster. For instance, on a HDD based machine using Superfetch if you use Chrome and Discord all the time each time you boot the PC Superfetch will cache these 2 programs into RAM so they start quicker. Superfetch caching is cleared each time you shut down your PC, it is not part of the OS caching or shut down cache process. Alternatively, Superfetch can also hamper load times as it's a few more things a standard HDD has to load during boot to cache into RAM. This is great if you leave the machine running all the time, not so great if you're forced to shut down or reboot.

The reason both of these are pointless when using an SSD is because the SSD is quick enough in terms of throughput and IOPS that the machine is responsive right after bootup and can load your stuff instantly while also loading background tasks. No point hogging more RAM on 2 different forms of caching if it offers little to no visual improvement on load times compared to a HDD.

Last edited:
"If by that you mean Superfetch, it has nothing to do with boot times. OS caching and Superfetch are independent of each other and only compliment each other in Windows 10 to try and achieve SSD like performance. "

On windows 10 though, SSD like performance is NOT achieved using superfetch. Is it enabled by default?

"If by that you mean Superfetch, it has nothing to do with boot times. OS caching and Superfetch are independent of each other and only compliment each other in Windows 10 to try and achieve SSD like performance. "

On windows 10 though, SSD like performance is NOT achieved using superfetch. Is it enabled by default?
Sigh.

Yes, it is enabled by default on every fresh install.

Both combined compliment each other to try and achieve SSD like performance. No matter what you do in software you'll never make a HDD perform like an SSD, but these two do help to speed things up after the machine is fully booted up on a HDD. For instance, once Superfetch starts loading Chrome into RAM while utilizing a standard HDD it does load a whole lot quicker than after you first install Windows and all your software.

This might be a little off topic but I can't start my own thread for some reason. Guess I'm too newb.

I use Win 7.

I have to constantly move emails from outlook to the project folder at work. Emails frequently have the same name so I'm always asked Copy and Replace or Don't Copy. That's it. Those are my only two options. So I have to perform the tedious task of manually renaming each email to something like RE_Original_Email_Name(1).msg before I can copy the next email into the folder.

There should be a third option to Copy and Keep both files. The additional file will then be automatically renamed with (1) (2) (3) ... etc.
I've seen screen shots of this option in the Copy File dialog. Though I realize this screen shot might be from Win 10.

So the question is there anyway to do this in Win 7? What setting do I need to change?

4fd2a293-b0ac-443a-8062-24f1081c3cb0

Back
Top Bottom