Windows 7 will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi all,

My wonderful computer that has worked perfect for several months suddenly seemed to die and I do not know where to start on the trouble shooting.

I was using the computer when suddenly the mouse stopped working. When I attempted a restart, now the computer will not even boot [it repeatedly attempts to restart but nothing happens, and the screen remains black].

I recently installed a new video card [Galaxy GTS 250] and a new power supply [Apevia Beast 680].

Can someone help me to understand some of the simple tests I can do to isolate the problem?

I just noticed that the motherboard emits two rapid beeps every time I attempt a start up and the 6 phase LED's light up on the MB as well. My system components are listed below in my signature.

I am kinda desperate because this is my personal computer with lots of important info on it.

Thanks,

Soar

I just attempted to boot for the Windows 7 install disc and that did not work either. I thought about replacing the recently installed video card next. Anyone have any ideas how I should proceed with this?

Is there a specific list of to-do's that anyone has that I could follow in a logical order to trouble shoot this?

I would appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,

Soar

The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error
http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ep45-ud3p(ud3r)(ud3)_1.6_e.pdf

Based upon that I am going with 2 short or cmos error. Reset cmos.

The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error
http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ep45-ud3p(ud3r)(ud3)_1.6_e.pdf

Based upon that I am going with 2 short or cmos error. Reset cmos.

Hef,

I just noticed that the CPU fan is not coming on too. I will reset CMOS now.

Thanks,

Soar

Ok if clear cmos does not work reseat all of your psu connections and the cpu fan connection.

Hef, I just checked the manual and I cannot see how to clear the CMOS on this Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. Have you any suggestions?

I was thinking of removing the battery. I cannot find the jumpers like on other motherboards.

Whoops, update: I see a part of the MB that says Clear_ CMOS. Is that it

Soar

Either remove the CMOS battery for about 30 seconds (make sure to disconnect the PSU from power as well). Or put a jumper on the 2 CLR_CMOS pins (if its similar to mine, it should be near the F_Panel headers and SATA ports).

Ok, sorry, I found out how to clear CMOS:

21) CLR_CMOS (Clearing CMOS Jumper)
Use this jumper to clear the CMOS values (e.g. date information and BIOS configurations) and
reset the CMOS values to factory defaults. To clear the CMOS values, place a jumper cap on the
two pins to temporarily short the two pins or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two
pins for a few seconds.

Q: How do I clear the CMOS values?
A: If your motherboard has a clearing CMOS jumper, refer to the instructions on the CLR_CMOS jumper in Chapter 1 to short the jumper to clear the CMOS values. If your board doesn't have this jumper, refer to the instructions on the motherboard battery in Chapter 1. You can temporarily remove the battery from the battery holder to stop supplying power to the CMOS, which will clear the CMOS values after about one minute. Refer to the steps below:
Steps:
1. Turn off your computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Gently remove the battery from the battery holder and wait for one minute. (Or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the positive and negative terminals of the battery holder, making them short for 5 seconds.)
3. Replace the battery.
4. Plug in the power cord and restart your computer.
5. Press <Delete> to enter BIOS Setup. Select "Load Fail-Safe Defaults" (or "Load Optimized Defaults") to load BIOS default settings.
6. Saves changes and exit BIOS Setup (select "Save & Exit Setup") to restart your computer.

page 23 for location of cmos jumper. pulling battery is easier.

Q: How do I clear the CMOS values?
A: If your motherboard has a clearing CMOS jumper, refer to the instructions on the CLR_CMOS jumper in Chapter 1 to short the jumper to clear the CMOS values. If your board doesn't have this jumper, refer to the instructions on the motherboard battery in Chapter 1. You can temporarily remove the battery from the battery holder to stop supplying power to the CMOS, which will clear the CMOS values after about one minute. Refer to the steps below:
Steps:
1. Turn off your computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Gently remove the battery from the battery holder and wait for one minute. (Or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the positive and negative terminals of the battery holder, making them short for 5 seconds.)
3. Replace the battery.
4. Plug in the power cord and restart your computer.
5. Press <Delete> to enter BIOS Setup. Select "Load Fail-Safe Defaults" (or "Load Optimized Defaults") to load BIOS default settings.
6. Saves changes and exit BIOS Setup (select "Save & Exit Setup") to restart your computer.

page 23 for location of cmos jumper. pulling battery is easier.

Hef,

Thanks for your help. Ok, I followed the instructions, and then replugged in the computer and tried a start. Now the system fans come on [as before], CPU fan does not come on, and system fails to boot. I did notice the two beeps are not occurring again.

Wow! Now what? I also put in the last GPU I was using and that didn't do anything...

What next?

Soar

Oh, I forgot to mention I did notice one more issue:

I noticed in the back of my computer, one of the USB ports had somehow a twisted piece of metal [from one of those small pieces of the I/O shield jammed INSIDE the USB port. I took it out. I think it is possible it may have shorted something but I am not sure....

Soar

PS What can I do next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom