Windows 7 RC-->Windows 7 Retail version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domestic

In Runtime
Sorry if this has been answered in an FAQ somewhere. I don't think it has though.

I was wondering if there was any official word from microsoft on the following.

Say I was to install Windows 7 RC on my PC and wanted to use the retail version of windows 7 when it comes out.
Do you think there will be some kind of option to turn your RC version of Windows 7 into a legitimate working one once you have purchased it to save reinstalling the operating system again and all of my applications?

Thanks

At this time there is no word. But if Microsoft follows the path that they always have, no. There will not be a option to upgrade. They always say that a Beta should not be installed in a Production environment and that you should always Fresh Install the newer Builds that are released.

Does that mean you lose all the files on RC after you upgrade to the retail version? I was thinking of doing the same thing.

Does that mean you lose all the files on RC after you upgrade to the retail version? I was thinking of doing the same thing.
If you dont back them up, yes. You will lose them.

It says it right on the page to download Windows 7:

Protect your PC and data. Be sure to back up your data and please don't test the RC on your primary home or business PC.

Right there should tell you that this is not meant to be a everyday use OS. It is still buggy and can still cause problems. If you use it daily you are doing this at your own risk.

The answer to upgrade from Win 7 RC to Win 7 Final Release can be found at the below link. I also included the Q and A from the page for a quick answer to the OP's question.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/faq.aspx

QCan I upgrade from the RC to the final version of Windows 7?

AWhen you install the final version of Windows 7, you'll need to do a clean installation. So plan on backing up your data then reinstalling your applications and restoring your data.

The answer to upgrade from Win 7 RC to Win 7 Final Release can be found at the below link. I also included the Q and A from the page for a quick answer to the OP's question.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/faq.aspx

QCan I upgrade from the RC to the final version of Windows 7?

AWhen you install the final version of Windows 7, you'll need to do a clean installation. So plan on backing up your data then reinstalling your applications and restoring your data.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom