Windows 7 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Press WINKEY+R .
2. In the Run dialog box, type systempropertiesadvanced.exe and press OK .
3. In the Performance section , click the Settings Button .
4. Make sure that Animate Controls and Elemants inside windows is UNchecked .
5. Press Apply/OK .

Try this.

Did not work, Mak. I'm gonna try the registry method now.

Registry method did not work either - it was already set to what it should be (probably from one of the other dozen settings I've changed to try to solve the problem).

Well there isnt much we can say right now. Between the Registry hacks and the other things you have done there is no way for sure that we can verify if a method will work. I have tried a few and got no success. But then again they may not apply right away and need you to restart. Have you restarted after trying all these options?

Yeah, I have restarted after each one. I'm pretty confused about it to be honest - there are so many easy settings to get rid of this, but they don't actually work, lol. I guess I'll wait for SP1?

I have tried all but the Registry hack. They are not working for me so it is not part of Aero Peek like i thought. It is something else. It may even be something that cant be turned off. I highly doubt that SP1 will give you this as many people love the feature and even less have said they want the option to remove it. So unless you have expressly given feedback on this and gotten strong support for it, i doubt you will see the option added at any time.

Engineering Windows 7 : The Windows 7 Taskbar

Maybe that will help shed some light on it? Honestly the only solution might be to go with a non Aero based skin to stop Aero Peek or whatever is causing it.

Could you perhaps tell me what you like about this feature? I read that article you linked and I still don't get the point... I know what my Firefox window looks like - why do I need a thumbnail preview of it?

It is useful when you have multiple windows open. Say IE, each tab has a window. So instead of clicking the icon to get the last tab that was active to come back up, you can select ANY tab and have that one come up instead. Firefox added this to 3.6 Beta.

It is also useful when you have 3,4 or more programs running. It isnt there to just say "Hey look at this window you just minimized!"

Can you perhaps tell me why it is such a nusiance? Yeah you dont need to know what your Firefox window looks like, but what about using it to get a preview of your Outlook inbox? What about getting a glance at your MSN Contacts? Why think so limited as to only think of 1 bad thing it can do instead of thinking of all the added benefits it can give?

It takes me less time to just click it than to hover over it for 1 second to see a very small version of what I could have seen with a click.

When I accidentally hover too long before clicking, it gets in the way and just annoys me. Pretty much all of my programs flash when they need my attention - Pidgin, IRC, etc - so I don't need to get a preview when I'm just going to click it anyways. And I just use gmail and have the gmail notifier addon for Firefox - but even if I did use Outlook or something, like I said, it would just be faster to click on it.

To each their own. I dont rely on visual prompts. If you dont use something then you have not right to cliam that it would be faster to click on it. You dont know and you havent tested it.

The fact is this, you have to HOVER over it for it to come up. If you are clicking on it, then you should never see it in the first place. So really i dont see what the problem is. Dont hover over it and click it like you want to do. It wont come up and you wont see it. Problem solved.

I do know and I have tested it... because I can't get rid of it.

Usually it's not a problem because I just click, but once in a while I'll leave my mouse down there or delay clicking for whatever reason and it pops up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom