Windows 7 Professional End User License agreement question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
I was reading over this specific license agreement for installation and it states:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.
c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.

So item 'b' states you can install it on up to TWO processors which basically means if I am thinking about upgrading my system from a Q6600 to a i7 then I can reinstall windows with the same serial number correct?

Which also requires new mobo and such which I don't think that matters but just pointing that out....which I'm sure most every one knows that any way. :p

bummer...I can't believe I have to pay for another copy just because I want to upgrade.

So I guess if I sell my cpu I can sell the windows with it? Makes sense

Yea it's the licensing for dual CPU systems for serious workstations as patonb pointed out it's not letting you install it on two machines.

Alright the part of the license that you are referencing is what they said. It allows for 2 physical CPU's to be used. Like a Dual Xeon machine. Now the catch is this. If your motherboard can support a Core i7 as is without having to replace the mobo, then you can still technically use the same license.

The terms of the EULA state that you can change parts, up to and including the CPU. It is only when you replace the mobo that you have to buy another copy of Windows.

Now along with that, the other catch is if you have a Retail version. If so you can technically "transfer" the license to the new machine legally. As long as you "remove" it from the old system first. Now i dont know which version of Win7 you bought so i cant comment if any of the other terms apply to you. But if you know if you have a Retail copy then you technically can change out your mobo and still use your copy.

If you bought a OEM version then what you said was correct, in a sense. As that serial is forever tied to that mobo and dies witht that mobo.

I have w7 Professional, Retail. I have the box it came in and all. So I should be good to go. Thanks Mak! If I upgrade soon I will go this route. How do you remove it from old system?

KillDisk, DBan or any other method you want. A simple format will do it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom