Which windows 7 to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate1232

Solid State Member
I'm planning on building a new pc and I'll be needing a 64 bit version.

The thing that has me confused is the oem versions - they are all I'm seeing on newegg. I've checked around for full versions and they seem to be around $100 more.

So what I'm wondering is this - can I use the cheaper oem version to install windows 7 on a custom pc? And is it just a matter of putting in the disc and installing or is it more complicated? I want to be able to have a windows disc to do a clean install now and then

OEM is tied to a specific motherboard. So if you purchase OEM you can reinstall as many times as you want on that one motherboard. If you want to upgrade your motherboardor your motherboard dies you will have to work with MS to get a new license key or activate your current one.

Retail comes with some MS support, a manual, a pretty box and you can install it on any system as many times as you want. The only trick is you have to install and deactivate your key before reinstalling it on another PC.

For the average semi-technical person you should just use OEM.

BTW Moderators - where the heck is the sticky for this explanation?

Thanks for the quick replies! Im not able to view the link right now, im having issues viewing it on my iPhone and thats all I have for Internet access atm.

I've heard a few people saying you need a 2nd pc to install the oem version. If it's not covered in that link, would someone mind giving me a quick overview? Nothing in-depth as I'm sure the instructions included are thorough

No, you don't need a 2nd PC. OEM installs just like retail. The only difference is the type of license key. That's it. You pop the disc in, boot off of it, and install it just like the other Win7 discs.

Lol hey hey just because it's your birthday doesn't mean you can be surly with me!

Kidding, i swear i looked around and couldn't find it. Anyways thanks Mak :p

To the OP, quit thinking they are separate programs. The programs on those CD's are identical, the only difference is the license that you get with the software.

I wasnt trying to be surly with you mate. I am just pointing out an obvious fact. Even when it says READ FIRST, it gets ignored. Despite the fact that it could contain the answer to the question about to be asked. ;)

Ok thanks for the help guys. I usually do check the stickies first, but it was a lot of effort with 1 bar of crappy reception on my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom