Windows 7 (64 Bit), CPU speed won't go down

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
After using Windows 7 32 bit on my desktop (the final version, got it through MSDN Academic Alliance) for a month or so I decided to put the 64 bit version on my laptop. I upgraded from Vista 64 Ultimate. For some reason it is stuck at 1600MHz (according to PC Wizard) but I know the CPU can go down to 800MHz and I want it to run as cool as possible. I just got the PC back from having its motherboard replaced due to GPU heat failure so I don't want anything running hot. I'm using Power Saver mode and I set the maximum percentage (both plugged in and on battery) to 20%. What else needs to be done to slow it down? It's a C2D T9300.

WOW LOL. I must really be out of it. I swear I saw Athlon X2 @_@. Sleep deprivation can do many things :/. Anyways yeah look for SpeedStep and CXE. Make sure both of those are enabled.

Pretty sure they are, HP's BIOS is pretty weak and I don't remember seeing those options. It worked fine in Vista so I'm assuming the BIOS is fine. It is scaling the CPU just not to the right speeds. In "Balanced" mode, the CPU drops as low as 1100MHz or up to 2.5GHz. It's set to 5-100%. I changed "Power Saver" to 5-5% (hoping it'd drop as far as possible) but even then it stays at 1500MHz. In Ubuntu I could get it down to 800MHz. Is there any other settings that affect CPU scaling in Windows 7?

I'm thinking that Win7 is utilizing more of the CPU, not allowing it to drop to a lower frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom