Win XP/Vista x64 Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
Since I have a 64-bit capable processor and motherboard capable of utilizing up to 8 gigs of RAM, I've been considering upgrading my current 2x1G G.Skill memory by adding another 2x2G for a total of 6 gigs of RAM... except 32-bit Windows doesn't even support a full 4 gigs of RAM.

Obviously the solution to that would be to upgrade to a 64-bit operating system, except I'm really not sure what to expect in terms of compatibility. I run a lot of older programs on this machine for various things, and I don't want them to break. Has anyone used x64 Windows before and know if the support is up to par?

I'm even more skeptical about using a 64-bit Vista, since it's, well... Vista. They seriously need some more service packs out before I try THAT again.

Well I guess Vista is right out, because virtually ALL of my security and utility apps are listed on the 'DOES NOT WORK' list, and most of my games and other productivity stuff is on the 'Works but has issues' list.

As for x64, there just isn't enough stuff listed there. Almost nothing I have is even on that list, and there's no indication if it's just because the poster didn't test it or if it actually doesn't work.

I dontknow when the last time the Vista one was updated. So some of the stuff might fully work now. Liek Zone Alarm now works. I think they have that listed as not working.

Best bet is to check the developers website see if they have a VIsta conpatible version.

I use Avast, Sunbelt Kerio and PeerGuardian. What would be nice is if there was an app that could cross-check all of the executables on my PC to see if they would work under x64 or Vista, like a virtual machine. The tester thing MS released only tested specific apps, none of the small-developer stuff I like to use.

I basically use this PC for ubertasking... it does everything, all day.

Well i can tell you right from your list that Avast works. PeerGuardian does not. Some ahve gotten the 9x version to work but i have not. they have not created PeerGuardian Vista yet. The Kerio firewall no. But the Zone Alarm free one works jstu as well.

Actually I stopped using ZA because the free version didn't provide the monitoring and protection I wanted, and pro version didn't work very well even on XP, causing its internet connection to fizzle out after a few hours of heavy network traffic.

Kerio passes all of the firewall security tests that ZA free fails. It has superior protection.

As for PG, I kinda need that to be supported.

Also all of my games, including Half Life 2, Orange Box, BioShock, Battlefield 2142, StarCraft, America's Army, Defcon, Tremulous, GunZ.

Other apps I need: eMule, BitTorrent, F@H, Orthos, CPU-Z, CoreTemp, Opera, Safari, FRAPS, PowerChute, TrueCrypt, AxCrypt, Trillian, Nokia PC Suite, Office 03, Hoversnap, Adobe Phtotoshop 8 CS, RAD Video Tools, Audacity, Programmer's Notepad, TeamSpeak, Google Earth, WinRAR, 7-Zip, Maple 10, Dev-C++, Maxivista.

It also needs to support all my hardware, including: Logitech G15, Sound Blaster Audigy SE, LightScribe Writemaster DVD-RAM, MX518 mouse, Dual Saitek Cyborg EVOs and the X52, and probably most importantly, nVIDIA nRAID on my MSI P6N SLI Platinum mobo, so I can boot from my RAID.

Actually you dont need PeerGuardian. If you know the sites that it connects to for updates then Deluge is what you want. It has a built in plug in for block lists.

Home • Deluge

It works on all systems. I use that more than uTorrent now.

Steam works on Vista just fine. BioShock works, BF
, Starcraft you can use compatibility mode, i dont know about the rest have to check their sites.

As for the apps. F@H, CPUz, Opera, Safari, FRAPS, Trillian, Office 03, Audacity, WinRar all work for sure. Dont know about the rest never used them personally.

As for hardware google and download the Vista upgrade Advisor. That will give you better results than i can for hardware.

Actually I use the PeerGuardian for eMule rather than BitTorrent. My ISP blocks BitTorrent uploads, so I need eMule to get decent speeds or to release files. I also need PeerGuardian to block the fake eMule servers and client abusers.

I'll search around for the app info. As for the upgrade advisor, I tried it and it wasn't much help. It only _mentioned_ three of my pieces of hardware - my 8800 GTS video card (to say it's supported), my printer, to say it _wasn't_ supported, and my Sound card, to say "it doesn't know". Everything else it just pretended wasn't there.

Well check the manufacturer's websites. Like Creative. They will have their drivers there. I cant tell you for sure or not.

Logitech has a bunch of VIsta compatable drivers.

So you will have to find out for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom